Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,929   Posts: 1,556,839   Online: 839

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Grey mottling on Cyanotypes

I've been experimenting happily with the Printables paper from Freestyle photo (which I found through APUG, so, Sean, your advertisers do get business here). Other than difficulties determining exposure (especially with spring weather here, which can become overcast in 15 minutes), I am pretty happy. But a couple of my prints have dried with a greyish stain in places that looks almost like mildew. Drying times have only been a few hours, so I don't think that is it. Does anyone have any ideas what it is or how to prevent/remove it?

Also, I spilled a little lemon juice on a print (trying to do too many things at once) and got an interesting yellow cast, which did eventually wash off. Has anyone played with this effect intentionally?

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The grayish stain might be due to insufficient washing -- if some sensitizer is left in the paper, it will expose (eventually) even in room light; if there's not much of it, it could well look grayish instead of the deep blue that you'd expect from normal exposed areas by the time drying is complete.

I could be completely off base, too; I haven't done *that* many cyanotypes...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I also got grey mottling now and then, and I'm scratching my head to try to remember what it was. It may have been incomplete drying of the sensitizer, or perhaps when I used a hairdryer on it.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I've used a hair dryer, I found the image washed off -- I think because there was a layer of moist sensitizer under the dry surface, so the color that formed during exposure wasn't bound in the paper surface or sizing.

Some papers just don't like cyanotype, also -- I don't know if it's buffering agents or something in the sizing, but something converts ferric to ferrous and fogs the sensitizer as soon as it dries. Same thing occurs with some papers on processes that use silver nitrate, such as VDB and salt prints.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin