Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,846   Posts: 1,582,737   Online: 908

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    I seriously doubt that many ISO 400 films can deliver enough contrast for POP in anything. For POP I use Ilford FP4 Plus and Ortho Plus, both of which can be developed to a high gamma in almost anything.

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com)
    Since POP is primarily a UV sensitive process you can get a lot more effective printing contrast with most films by developing in a staining developer. I would recommend a 5:3:100 dilution of Pyrocat-HD.

If the scene you are photographing is one of normal contrast you can get plenty of contrast for POP with most ISO 400 films, including HP5+, TRI-X 320 and JancC 400. However, if you are photograhing a low contrast scene the only ISO 400 film (that I know) that will give you enough contrast for POP is TMAX 400.

If you can live with its speed Ilford FP4+ is an excellent film for developing to a high CI.

Sandy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Dear Don,

Well, put it this way. I couldn't get the contrast that I wanted from HP5 Plus for POP and when I spoke to Mike Gristwood about it (this was obviously before the bankruptcy) he agreed that getting a gamma of much over 1.0 out of HP5 was hard work and that 1.2 to 1.3 (which was what I was looking for) was probably out of sight.

I don't say it can't be done; I just said I doubt it.

Cheers,

Roger
    Roger,

HP5+ developed in Pyrocat-HD 5:3:100 at 72F for 16 minutes (slow speed rotary agitation) will give an approximate CI of slightly more than 1.2, if measured by UV mode as would be appropriate for POP.

Sandy
    Last edited by sanking; 05-26-2006 at 10:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Sandy,

Thanks very much indeed for that one. I had achieved adequate contrast for contrasty subjects in D19 but the trick with staining developers had not occurred to me (or, apparently, Mike).

Once again, thanks,

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Dear Sandy,

Thanks very much indeed for that one. I had achieved adequate contrast for contrasty subjects in D19 but the trick with staining developers had not occurred to me (or, apparently, Mike).

Once again, thanks,

Cheers,

Roger
    Roger,

Just for the record, I agree with you about HP4+ in non-staining developers. I have not been able to get a CI from it of more than about 1.0 with any of the high energy developers I have tried, including D-11 and D-19.

You can use other staining developers of course. I gave the values for Pyrocat-HD because I have done specific sensitometry tests with it for this very purpose, i.e. getting as much CI as possible from HP5+ for alternative printing with UV sensitive processes.

Best,

Sandy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin