Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,471   Posts: 1,570,922   Online: 780

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Question about cyanotypes....

I just created my first cyanotypes I have a quick question. I'm really happy with the way one of them turned out, but one of the things I like most about it is kind of irregular I believe. Where the highlights should be there is instead, in places, a very dark navy blue. I used the tips of celery leaves. Could it have been some sort of reaction with the leaves? Is this a common problem?
    Thanks,
    Erin

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you have blue in the areas shadowed by the leaves, it indicates something exposed or fogged the sensitizer in those areas. It's certainly conceivable that some chemical in the celery might have done this, but much more likely a problem with impurities in the paper, contamination (as by a metal ferrule on a brush used to spread sensitizer), or some impurity in drops of water left on the leaves (if you washed them before using them to shadow the cyanotype). If you were using a peroxide rinse to deepen the color more quickly, splashed drops of peroxide solution before washing off the unexposed sensitizer could also produce this effect.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    ohk thanks, the pieces of celery were wet and wilted, so it very well could have been that Thanks
    -Erin

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin