Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,695   Posts: 1,549,058   Online: 1021

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Images
    Why don't you leave the light on and remove the frame when a digital timer goes off? Turning an HID light on and off over a short period of time will shorten its use life.

I print with one of two 1000 watt bulbs. One in a Hydrofarm reflector and the other in a DIamod Luminarc reflector. The one I use, depends on which one is not growing veggies in my classroom garden. I print at about 40 inches. I use a digital timer to tell me when to pull the printing frame from under the light. Works just fine.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    ...One in a Hydrofarm reflector
    Ahhhh... so you were a "hydrofarmer" too, eh? That fresh Basil sure was nice to have mid-winter...

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok, thanks Sandy.

Images
    And the lettuce too. This was the best crop I have had in a long time. Fifty two kids and the staff at the school I work at had great salads at harvest time. And yes the Basil was good. What nutrients are you using? I used Above and Beyond Grow for my lettuce and basil. I had basil leaves as big as my hand. It was cool. I switched to FLora Nova for my second round and things did not go so well in the lettuce department but the Chiles were phenominal.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    And yes the Basil was good. What nutrients are you using?
    It was Hy-Gro I think. I believe it was a local Michigan company. It has been some years since I've had time for the set-up and I do not know what is available anymore. I was doing this in the end of the 80s - early 90s, so I am sure the technology has grown if you will pardon the pun. I loved doing it as a hobby. The growing room I set-up was a real treat to spend time in the dead of a Michigan Winter. Smelled like Summer with veggies, flowers, etc. Someday when there is time and space I will do it again.

That 1000 watt lamp made a great plate burner until I went to the BL bulbs. I used to keep it about 30 inches above the priting frame and it was pretty even light.

B.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    Hi Gu,

I am no longer using the HID lamp you see in my article at unblinkingeye as I sold it to someone on this list a couple of years back, complete with vacuum frame and integrator.
    Sandy
    I'm the someone that purchased the HID from Sandy. The unit is setup in my garage and is about 37 inches above the vacuum easel, whic is mounted on a table that can be moved for more compact storage. It's been a while since I have used the lamp since my garage is in shambles now due, to what seems to be a never ending house remodeling project. I hope to have all of that cleared out again this fall.

The HID works very well with the Olix integrator. The most difficult part of the setup for me was calibrating the timer, making 1 unit of exposure equal to 1 second. One of the accessories I don't have for this unit is a timed control relay that will allow the vacuum easel to draw down before the lamp is powerd on.

I'm sure you can contact Olix and inquire about a timer/integrator.

Good luck,
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Don,

After reading the manuals to a few integrators, I'm seeing that the maximum outputs are only around 200-250watts. I'll be using a 1000watt MH though. I did a search for a solution on this and guess what...I ran into yet another posting by Sandy. In it, Sandy said he used a "relay". I'm a dummy, what is a relay (I've done a search but dont know what to get), solid state or electromechanical?, how difficult is it to install? This would go between the integrator and HID I presume? What kind of specs am I looking for when buying a relay?

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by guruguhan
    Thanks Don,

After reading the manuals to a few integrators, I'm seeing that the maximum outputs are only around 200-250watts. I'll be using a 1000watt MH though. I did a search for a solution on this and guess what...I ran into yet another posting by Sandy. In it, Sandy said he used a "relay". I'm a dummy, what is a relay (I've done a search but dont know what to get), solid state or electromechanical?, how difficult is it to install? This would go between the integrator and HID I presume? What kind of specs am I looking for when buying a relay?
    Normally we think of a relay as an electro-mechanical device. Simply put, the output of the timer energizes a coil of wire which creates a magnetic field. THe field has enough force to cause a spring loaded plunger to move "or close" which will complete an electrical circuit energizing the lamp. As long as the relay coil is turned on by the timer, the lamp stays on.

The probe, sensitive to UV light, is connected of course to the timer. After the probe receives enough UV energy the timer is satisfied and de-energizes the relay, turning off the lamp.

To make things simple you can go to an electric supply house and explain to them what kind of device you need. THey can sell you the appropriate relay.

Of course I presume you unserstand how to wire all of this together. Not difficult really. For safe use you will need some type of simple box to enclose the relay. You can purchase this at the same place you get your relay.

Hope this helps,
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey Don,

That does help, thanks. I know the probe (you're referring to the photocell right?) is connected to the timer/integrator - I was asking where the relay fits in. Between the integrator and light yes?

I'll just ask at the local electrical supply house for the type of relay I'll need. Thanks again

Gu

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by guruguhan
    Hey Don,

That does help, thanks. I know the probe (you're referring to the photocell right?) is connected to the timer/integrator - I was asking where the relay fits in. Between the integrator and light yes?

I'll just ask at the local electrical supply house for the type of relay I'll need. Thanks again

Gu
    On my Olix integrator there us a standard 3 prong AC outlet (250 watts - 5 amps.) that should be connected to the input side of the relay. Another AC line should be connected to the relay ON contact lugs of the relay. The lamp is conneted to the output lugs of the relay. When the relay is energized the circuit of the source voltage for the lamp is closed and juice flows to the lamp through the ouput lugs. All the integrator does is supply power to the relay, not the lamp.

The probe is placed on the easel facing the light source and is plugged into the timer/integrator. The probe has an adjustable aperture which can be used to attenuate light if necessary (sort of a crude sensitivity adjustment) The timer has potentiometers that can be adjusted to calibrated the probe to the light source.

To calibrate the timer properly the lamp needs to come up to full output. Olix has documentation that you can download for free that explains the calibration procedure.

Good luck,
    Don Bryant

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin