Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,615   Online: 806

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

What kind of timer for your UV light box?

Hi everyone,

I'm using an HID light source for alt printing and would like help on getting a timer for it. Would like to keep it under $100 and if it could handle more than one device it would be great (but not essential).

Any help is appreciated.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    we are using a gralab 300
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by guruguhan
    Hi everyone,

I'm using an HID light source for alt printing and would like help on getting a timer for it. Would like to keep it under $100 and if it could handle more than one device it would be great (but not essential).

Any help is appreciated.
    Get an old Gralab timer off ebay. I've gotten them as low as $10.00. Problem with HID is wam-up time though. At least it was with my old rig. It took a good 5-10 minutes before that unit was running at full output. Hard to use the timer to start and stop the light. In my case I had to let the light warm-up, then place the printing frame and set the timer.

Bill

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by billschwab
    Get an old Gralab timer off ebay. I've gotten them as low as $10.00. Problem with HID is wam-up time though. At least it was with my old rig. It took a good 5-10 minutes before that unit was running at full output. Hard to use the timer to start and stop the light. In my case I had to let the light warm-up, then place the printing frame and set the timer.

Bill
    When using an HID lamp a warm-up of at least 5-10 minutes is essential when using a plain timer.

Platemakers use a timer which is based on light integration and measure the light in units. With an integrator you just turn on the unit and when the necessary number of units have been reached, it turns the lamp off. Stand-alone integrators, which have been made by Olix and NuArc among others, can sometimes be found on ebay in the Graphic Arts section.

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    Platemakers use a timer which is based on light integration and measure the light in units.
    I would have loved to have found one of these when using my HID system! Definitely the way to go if you can find one and it is affordable.

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is the photocell part of the integrator? Are there different integrators where the photocell is connected by a cable or something? If the photocell is part of the integrator, where should it be placed (right next to the frame? - will I need to compensate for light falloff at the edges?)

If I get a used integrator, is it a good idea I buy a new photocell for it (do these age)? Thanks for the info everyone!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been reading a bit more on these...have a couple more questions. Sandy...what's your current distance between print and the tip of the bulb? On unblinking eye, I think you said 20"? I read elsewhere that you place your photocell 25" from the tip, on a wall. Does this mean that your print to bulb distance has changed to greater than 25"? I'd like to have a setup that allows me to print to 16x20" without needing to change the level of the light (I've posted another thread on the swinging center filter). I'm not sure about what height I should mount at (I was initially thinking 20" and using a filter as you describe for larger prints).

If I get a used integrator that doesn't come with a photocell (or any other accessories other than a cable connector) - will I be able to find the other things I need easily?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've been reading a bit more on these...have a couple more questions. Sandy...what's your current distance between print and the tip of the bulb? On unblinking eye, I think you said 20"? I read elsewhere that you place your photocell 25" from the tip, on a wall. Does this mean that your print to bulb distance has changed to greater than 25"? I'd like to have a setup that allows me to print to 16x20" without needing to change the level of the light (I've posted another thread on the swinging center filter). I'm not sure about what height I should mount at (I was initially thinking 20" and using a filter as you describe for larger prints).

If I get a used integrator that doesn't come with a photocell (or any other accessories other than a cable connector) - will I be able to find the other things I need easily?
    Hi Gu,

I am no longer using the HID lamp you see in my article at unblinkingeye as I sold it to someone on this list a couple of years back, complete with vacuum frame and integrator. It was a very nice exposing unit, easily equal in speed to a NuArc 261k I replaced it with.

However, I think the ideal distance from tip of lamp to surface of prnting frame is about 40". I was using 20" at the time I wrote the article, with a diffuser, because of limited vertical distance in my working space. However, I did have some uneveness of exposures that was eliminated by removing the diffuser and increasing distance to 40".

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    Hi Gu,

I am no longer using the HID lamp you see in my article at unblinkingeye as I sold it to someone on this list a couple of years back, complete with vacuum frame and integrator. It was a very nice exposing unit, easily equal in speed to a NuArc 261k I replaced it with.

However, I think the ideal distance from tip of lamp to surface of prnting frame is about 40". I was using 20" at the time I wrote the article, with a diffuser, because of limited vertical distance in my working space. However, I did have some uneveness of exposures that was eliminated by removing the diffuser and increasing distance to 40".

Sandy
    Thanks a lot Sandy. Do you know where I might be able to find a PA710D photocell for Olec integrators? How much should these go for (just the photocell).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks a lot Sandy. Do you know where I might be able to find a PA710D photocell for Olec integrators? How much should these go for (just the photocell).
    Olec still sells photocells that work for UV output, not sure about that one. You won't see them sold separately very often on ebay. In fact, some of the integrators are sometimes sold without the sensor, which makes them pretty much useless until you find a cell.

Sandy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin