Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,497   Posts: 1,543,076   Online: 949

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Plat/Pal printing bleeding!

Hi
    When I develop Platinum/Paladium prints, my prints tend to have smeared water marks “bleeding” from the edge of my prints(8x10) toward the outside when it dry. I used B/S platinotype paper.
    Has anyone seen this or run into this problem? What causes the problem and how do you get rid of it? Thanks for your help.Tri Tran

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is a common problem wih platinotype. The best solution is to use a different paper. I have never found a fully reliable way to prevent this from happening. Thorough clearing and a long wash seem to be important factors, but even then, this paper will still bleed loose metal occasionally. You really notice it when you have masked borders. COT 320 is the best fix, with the added benefit that you prints will look better at the same time.
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.

http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have also seen it happen with Bergger COT 320 on occasion. I have no idea what caused it then. I have been working with Arches Platine for a little while.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting. I have never had it happen with COT. Always a gremlin lurking around!
    Quote Originally Posted by colrehogan
    I have also seen it happen with Bergger COT 320 on occasion. I have no idea what caused it then. I have been working with Arches Platine for a little while.
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.

http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have some negs that I might try with COT because they aren't working out well on Arches Platine. Hope it doesn't happen again. Maybe it was the conditions I was printing in at the time (less than ideal humidity and it was early February). Of course, I was making prints for our camera club show at the time. I got them made, but it took a couple of tries.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yep, have seen it with VDB and Ziatypes using Platinotype also. Figured it was just something I had done wrong. Since then have moved away from Platinotype and over to Arches Platine/COT320. Dang nice paper.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've had the bleeding issue with COT on occaision. Never with Platine, though. Platinotype is good for lining bird cages. :-P
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tri Tran
    Hi
    When I develop Platinum/Paladium prints, my prints tend to have smeared water marks “bleeding” from the edge of my prints(8x10) toward the outside when it dry. I used B/S platinotype paper.
    Has anyone seen this or run into this problem? What causes the problem and how do you get rid of it? Thanks for your help.Tri Tran
    You might try image side down processing and clearing. This will require additional care in handling your prints and smooth bottom trays. I would also recommend that you try and rotate your prints in the print washer. If you are using a water rinse after your developer, you may also try going directly to your first clearing bath.

Reducing your coating volume has also worked with some papers. Here you must check for good blacks and enough solution to prevent over working your coating solution.

Eric

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tri Tran
    Hi
    I've had this problem on and off for some time, especially with Platinotype but occasionally with Platine. I've had good success by letting the print drain for a few minutes (in the wash tray at an angle) after the final wash and then placing face up on a clean surface and drying with a hair dryer until the surface is free of surface water. Then I let it dry naturally overnight. This has pretty much cured this problem for me.
    Keith Taylor
    Platinum, Photogravure and Historic Process Editions
    Website | Weblog | Google+ | Facebook
    2011 Minnesota Center for Book Arts/Jerome Foundation Mentorship Program recipient

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerik
    Platinotype is good for lining bird cages.
    I''ve heard others speak badly of Platinotype as well. I had a cheap source and got 50 sheets recently and haven't had any trouble. However, I have not had the chance to try the COT or Platine and have some of both on order. What kind of results should I expect as opposed to the Cranes?

Bill

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin