Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,557   Posts: 1,573,279   Online: 1021

Shooter
    35mm

Polaroid Transfers/Daylab

Can anyone tell me if you can use a daylab to copy 35mm color and black and white PRINT negatives for polaroid transfer? Are daylabs only for slide film? Any particular model of daylab recommended?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They work best with slides, unless you want an unusual effect. You can use the P/N films in a Daylab, then the negative would look like a large positive.

Ciao!

Gordon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just to add to this, I picked up a Sunpak Polaroid printer for less than $10 several years ago. It ran for about one year before needing a replacement bulb (near $20). The Vivitar Polaroid printers are fairly good value for the money, and more common than the Sunpak version. The actual large Daylab that can be expanded to use 8x10 film is really nice, but fairly expensive compared to smaller versions. If you just want to experiment, the smaller 35mm only machines are more economical. Hope that helps.

Ciao!

Gordon

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use a Saunders easel that's made for a Polaroid 8X10 film holder. It has a lid that you flip down for focusing, then flip up for exposure. I can thereby use the enlarger for whatever size transparency film up to 4X5.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The short answer is, Yes you can. It's a slightly different process for a very different look, however.

For this image I used a TMax 400 negative in my Daylab 35+, and shot it onto 4x5 Polacolor Pro 100 sheet film. I did the image transfer and enhanced slightly with pastels.

And for this, I used a color infrared film (Kodak EIR) negative and exposed again onto the Polacolor.

As far as Daylabs go, I like the 35+. It takes a couple different bases (though the SX-70 base is obsolete with the demise of Time Zero film) and you can use the 545 film holder for the sheet film.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin