Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,874   Posts: 1,520,173   Online: 1021

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you all for your replies. I think I'm going to try a combination of presoaking the print and adding lemon to a double solution of Lipton tea.

Shooter
    Digital Negs
    I have been doing Cyanotypes for a number of years, having got the formula out of the 1947 BJP Almanac, I quite like the way a print appears in the wash water and the simplicity of the process.

I have also visited this thread quite a number of times.

I have a copy of Malin Fabbri's book Blueprint to Cyanotypes and found out about toning them a few weeks ago and have been experimenting ever since. Initially I used tea, Tetley and Yorkshire and at first only got rather yeuky and muddy prints.

I then obtained some Tannin from the local homebrew shop and have been able to get tones from black through to a nice warm brown, and I've been able to keep the highlights reasonably light.

Interestingly I seem to be able to tone in much less time than I read about, I kept seeing hours when I find I can do it in minutes. I've just done one and decided to do it as black as I could get it. I bleached for about 1 minute in washing soda, 1/4 teaspoon in 1.2 litre and then toned in Tannin 20 grams to 1 litre for 9 mins. the paper I used for this one is Canson 'Montval'.

Some years ago I put a 1/2 a Cyanotype print on a window cill and in two days it had faded, some parts of it going yellow, it did not recover in the dark either.

On Friday morning the 16th June I put 1/2 an old Tea toned print, one of the muddy ones in the same place. This time of year the window cill gets full sun after lunch. I've just been upstairs (10:00 pm) to have a look and to compare it with the 'good' half and its fine.

I will post again as soon as something happens or a week passes.

Regards - Jim Read

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimread

I then obtained some Tannin from the local homebrew shop and have been able to get tones from black through to a nice warm brown, and I've been able to keep the highlights reasonably light.

Regards - Jim Read
    Jim
    Can you elaborate on the homebrew shop and what tannin did they have available etc?
    Cheers
    Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    Digital Negs
    Dear Phil,

The shop is called; Hall Green Homebrew. 23 Redstone Farm Road. Hall Green. Birmingham. B28 9NU. 0121 777 4835

The tannin, dashes upstairs to get some, is called Young's Wine Tannin, made by Youngs Ubrew, in Tipton, www.youngsubrew.co.uk and costs 95p for 50grams. The label states that it adds zest and helps to preserve your wine.

I've had some diluted in a container for a month now and no sign of it going mouldy unlike the tea.

You can see some of my prints at;
    http://www.jrbham.btinternet.co.uk/index.html

Regards - Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jim

Thanks for the info. I will try and pick some up locally. Out of interest how do you use it. Is it very different from Tea>

Cheers

Phill

PS you work is excellent, i'd like to see some in person
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    Digital Negs
    Dear Phill,

I think its a bit cleaner than tea the paper doesn't get so stained, not that I mind it doing so, adds to the ambience of the print I think and in the window cill test (where did the posts go to!!??) the paper doesn't go as yellow, I have noticed that in certain lights one can see a yellowing though it doesn't show up in the scans.

For Canson Montval and Somerset Velvet I used 20 grams in 1 ltr and for Fabriano 5 and Fabriano Artistico 5 grams in 1 ltr. I also tried 5 tea bags (Yorkshire) well brewed in 1/2 ltr + 10 grams Tannin also in 1/2 ltr but this went mouldy in a couple of weeks, Poooooh yeuk!! ( though of course it may be the weather)

What I have found with the Tannin is more cinsistent results and can aim for what I want in the way of warmth and colder tones by varying the bleach times.

You would be welcome to see some prints if ever you are in Birmingham, it's a long way to the A14 and as for getting past Cambridge well, not to mention the (inevitable)crash on the M6! I used to be a rep for an engineering co and used to call in Thetford occasionally, always a late night return that day.

Regards - Jim
    There are only three things in life worth doing, art food and work, the order is merely alphabetical and if you can combine the first and the last ............

---------------------------------------------
    Toned Cyanotypes for sale
    http://www.jrbham.btinternet.co.uk/index.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin