Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,837   Posts: 1,582,441   Online: 728

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Lifespan of Platinum once mixed

Yesterday the girl that teaches photo classes where I work gave me a large number of brown bottles with historic process chemicals. In the mix were a few things that could be useful, except that their age is unknown. I found two bottles (total: approx. 50ml) labeled "Platinum #3" and one marked "Dichromate". They appear to have been stored for some time, and the girl that gave them to me was not clear about their age (she couldn't remember when they were mixed). She seemed to think they would be fine, but I am dubious. They appear to be, at the very least, 2-3 years old and perhaps quite a bit more, but have at least been stored at room temperature.

My question is how long should this stuff last once mixed? I am planning on giving it a shot anyway, but since I've never printed with it before I won't be able to judge the results very well if the chemicals have started to deteriorate. I'm not worried about the dichromate, other than to be sure not to get it on my skin, but I would like to save the platinum if possible.

Thanks in advance!

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The metal salts don't go bad in solution. Any ferric oxalate sensitizer you may have been given is most likely 'gone', but the platinum(or palladium) metal salts should be fine.
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.

http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Yep, there was some Ferric Oxilate in there too, along with about 6 bottles labled "Cyanotype A" and "Cyanotype B". I'm dumping those to use the bottles since I have my own formulas for Cyanotype that I know the quality of. Thanks for the info on the metal salts!

- Randy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I agree with Clay about the metal salts.
    I doubt that the Cyanotype is worth saving. It is so cheap to mix I wouldn't fool with the old stuff.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin