Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,922   Posts: 1,556,657   Online: 1252

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by buggy
    Just thinking out loud here, it seems that the more in-camera exposure you give, within boundaries, the less percentage of the total image is reversed, and if you can find approximately a 50/50 reversal, that is the goal.
    Think you are right on that one Buggy. I'm going to keep my exposures between asa 25 and 50 until experimentation dictates otherwise.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Please don't confuse "solarization" and "sabattier".

Solarization is caused by extremely heavy overexposures in-camera, and sabattier is achieved by short exposures with a flash during development. They give subtly different effects.

Modern films are designed to make it difficult to get solarization, as it was an effect of reciprocity which has been greatly reduced in modern films.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very interesting PE. Thanks for posting the images. I really like the effect on the solarized version.

I see the lines you're talking about. They're very distinct, especially on the little red flower on the right with the dark background.

As mentioned above I probably didn't get the lines on the sunflower because, at least according to the article Alex provided, they form between areas that reverse and areas that don't reverse. In the sunflower the entire image reversed, so no lines.

Thanks again. This has been extremely informative for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been thinking about the Polaroid process which involves solvation, nucleation and transfer (not in that order), and I just wonder if the chemistry might minimize the Mackie lines to some extent either via solvation effects or image spread (diffusion).

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually, I believe I'm going for Sabattier because I am flashing the negative during the development stage.

Regarding the chemistry, you are probably correct, however, I have seen Mackie lines in other images. At least to some extent. I will go back and look at those again to verify this.

My goal in the next few weeks will be to attempt to get some very distinct Mackie lines.

Thanks.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Buggy and all

google William L. Jolly He has written one of the most well thought out articles on Solarization that I have ever seen.

Solarization Demystified
    Historical, Artistic, and Technical Aspects of the Sabatier Effect.

I use his notes for my own work and he has put it in plain language for anyone to follow.

PE__ I really like your colour work . Could I suggest trying a very simple subject matter with fewer colours and details in the image.

I find the mackie lines in my work disturbing and actually only try to subtley introduce them with selective dodges and burns.
    I am putting together a web site of Laura and My images where I want to include the solarizations. When it goes live I will post the site.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bob;

Thanks. I don't regard that as particularly good work myself. It is interesting but a bit cluttered. If I were to enlarge just one flower or one small object as Buggy is doing, it might look a bit better.

It is part of a set of about 6 prints that I was making derivatives of. I have reversal images and posterized images that I did for practice work, and then never got back to it due to the emulsion work I've been doing. I have all of them now reduced to 4x5s and printed on several sheets of paper for demos. I do hope to get back to it someday.

My intent is to use an E6 film and cross process it to get high contrast, and then to use some on-easel effects as well as sabattier to jazz up the final image. One thing I'm thinking of is to use Ektachrome IR film cross processed to get some really wierd effects. I have several textbooks on the subject.

Another thing you can do with color is vary the light you use to flash, or combine lights when you flash to get mixed color sabattier. The combinations are nearly endless.

PE

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    PE

I think the endless possibilities of photography is what draws me further and further into the craft.
    I am really intrigued by the tri colour carbon process , as I do love colour but the the permanence issue has always been a overriding factor to stay mainly in Black and White for my professional work and that of my own personal.
    I plan to try working on this tccp process over the next few years and see if I can make some permanent colour prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie
    PE

I think the endless possibilities of photography is what draws me further and further into the craft.
    I am really intrigued by the tri colour carbon process , as I do love colour but the the permanence issue has always been a overriding factor to stay mainly in Black and White for my professional work and that of my own personal.
    I plan to try working on this tccp process over the next few years and see if I can make some permanent colour prints.
    Bob;

Later this week, Sandy King and I are going to work with my coating blades to see if we can make some advances in carbon printing. If so, are you interested?

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's one from yesterday that I just scanned. Are those Mackie lines around the flower?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mackie lines.jpg  

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin