Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,966   Posts: 1,523,331   Online: 1195

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie Jan
    in my case the water is coming on top of the image, just like i wash baryta based papers. So this could be the case. besides that i wash for an hour.

thanks, i will try it out.
    I think an hour wash for a cyanotype is too long. If you can at all avoid it, have the water enter the tray beside or below the print, not directly on it. That should help the color retention immensely.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Flyingcamera is right - there is no need to wash cyanotypes for an hour. The excess sensitizer washes out very easily. Ten minutes should be enough. Also, an acid first bath will mean a lot more of the image is retained.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I read that cyanotypes will oxidize over time and turn a richer blue, so you may not be out of luck on the ones you have made already. Alternately the book said to put it in a peroxide bath to bring up the more intense blue. Anybody here seen that and tried it yet?
    Gary Beasley

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That would make sense, if the object is to oxidise.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You're fighting a battle between oxidation of the cyanotype deepening the blue and sunlight exposure fading the blue. Fortunately, from what I have been given to understand, if you have a faded cyanotype it is possible to re-develop it and bring the blue back. I don't recall what exactly this entails, however, so the best advice is to store/display them where they get minimal direct exposure to sunlight.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    After light fading, they are redeveloped by exposure to atmospheric oxygen if kept reasonably dark. This happens in a matter of hours or days.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by glbeas
    I read that cyanotypes will oxidize over time and turn a richer blue, so you may not be out of luck on the ones you have made already. Alternately the book said to put it in a peroxide bath to bring up the more intense blue. Anybody here seen that and tried it yet?
    what i found in the description is that using peroxide brings immediately the end result after wash of the picture. It does not harm or infuence the picture but is a method to show you directly the end result.

I will try a wash of 10 minutes and a prewash with vinigar for 1 minute in a different bath.

Thanks.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Five minutes is plenty. Preview the final color by adding a dash (a few ml) of hydrogen peroxide to the wash water.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    so my first good print is made yesterday...

Cyanotype photo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin