Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,884   Posts: 1,520,550   Online: 925

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

washing cyanotype washes out the blue

Hi,

i use the cyanotype II from www.alternativephotography.com and have a qs.
    Last weekend i did my first cyanotypes and found out that when washing the picture looks very beautifull blue, but after an hour of washing it turns more to light blue while the area around it where no negative as still is much more blue.

Do i have to overexpose the image so that after washing i get the beautifull blue?

I did with the washing at some wetting agent for 5 minutes and after that 30 minutes of normal water wash. Could this be the problem?

thanks,

Willie.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Maybe you need more exposure. Why don't you try it ? Maybe a thinner neg will do the job, too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Perhaps more exposure? Or your wash water may be too alkaline. Try adding a bit of vinegar to the wash.
    FED ZORKI SURVIVAL SITE
    RANGEFINDERFILIPINAS
    Zorkikat.Com

"不管黑猫白猫能抓到老鼠就是好猫。" 邓小平
    It doesn't matter if a cat is black or white, so long as it catches mice.-邓小平

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by George Papantoniou
    Maybe you need more exposure. Why don't you try it ? Maybe a thinner neg will do the job, too.
    i want to know if it is my way of developing. The water here is not very alkaline. But I'll try it with adding some vinegar.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It could be your paper, as well. Cyanotypes work on "anything", but gives different results based on anything, too.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    i use frabriano aquarel paper,arches and bergger cod 320

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie Jan
    i use frabriano aquarel paper,arches and bergger cod 320
    I use the back side of Canson sketch paper...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Using Strathmore Bristol (Smooth and Plate) and traditional cyanotype formula 1:1, I expose until the darkest parts of the print turns light grey, sometimes refered to as 'reversing'. Then I lay the print face down in a pan of cool water from the tap (no wash aid) and every 5 minutes I change the water without ever allowing the running water to directly hit the surface of the print. After 4 changes of water I let the print dry.

I am no expert, but I have seen where water hitting the surface of the print will remove the emulsion and result in a lighter print, and where overwashing will give the same results. You might try cutting out the washing agent, adding a little vinegar to the wash water, reducing the washing times, or trying some different papers. Whatever you do, do one thing at a time and compare the results. Changing too many variables will not allow you to narrow down the problem(s).

- Randy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I had the same thing happen to me and traced it back to two things, paper and water. The next time I'll only use Platine paper and make sure my water is acidic. The experience was the most fun failing I've had in a long time

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    in my case the water is coming on top of the image, just like i wash baryta based papers. So this could be the case. besides that i wash for an hour.

thanks, i will try it out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin