Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,812   Posts: 1,581,557   Online: 973

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

When Ferric Oxalate Goes Bad - Pictures at 11:00

I have some ferric oxalate for Pt/Pd printing that is approaching the dreaded 3-month expiration. Except for the days I have been using it, I have stored this in a brown bottle inside another brown bottle in my refrigerator. By the calander, I am about 2 weeks under 3 months. So far I am not aware of any change in its effectiveness. When this stuff is past its prime, how do I know it is time for a change?

Dan Williams
    Daniel Williams
    Enumclaw WA USA

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    When your process fails.

I have used FO up to 6 months with success.

I am now re-setting up the darkroom after a year (moving and building a new one) and will probably throw out the old.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    My experience with bad FO is dull highlights (everything is grey) and weak shadows.

I mix up very small quantities and use it up quickly.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just curious, Joe...how small a quantity - 5ml?
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have used 8 months old FO with no problem. If you see dull highlights, an overall haze and it is hard to clear, then most likely it is time to make some new FO. Otherwise, use it!!!

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    Just curious, Joe...how small a quantity - 5ml?
    5 ml? That's about enough for 5 8x10 prints.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I usually weigh out the FO into 3 brown glass dropper bottles and then add the hot water when I need to coat. I normally weigh out 2.79 grams to each little brown bottle. A day or so before I get ready to coat, I will add 10 ml of water to a bottle.

My drop count for an 8 x 10 print is 18 drops FO.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga
    5 ml? That's about enough for 5 8x10 prints.
    um not sure... maybe Im going crazy but that seems like an awful lot.
    my coating measurements for a 7x17 amply coated area is:
    FO: 1.2mil
    Metalsalts: 1.2mil

just an FYI
    I did this at first and was coating entirely too much and started coming down in the quantities per many peoples suggestions (Kerik, Clay Harmon etc) and it works just as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Lipka
    I usually weigh out the FO into 3 brown glass dropper bottles and then add the hot water when I need to coat. I normally weigh out 2.79 grams to each little brown bottle. A day or so before I get ready to coat, I will add 10 ml of water to a bottle.

My drop count for an 8 x 10 print is 18 drops FO.
    Thanks Joe, just wondering how small an amount people made up. 10ml sounds like an amount that would be good for the on and off times I get to print. And will not be letting anything go to waste, and not be running out either.

Matt, sounds like good advice. Last round I was using 4 drops of FO + 4 drops of metal salts per 4x5, 6+6 drops for 5x7 and 10+10 for 8x10. That is with Arches Platine, with Cranes Cover I found I had to up the drop count at least 2 drops of FO and 2 drops of metal salts per size.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by scootermm
    um not sure... maybe Im going crazy but that seems like an awful lot.
    my coating measurements for a 7x17 amply coated area is:
    FO: 1.2mil
    Metalsalts: 1.2mil

just an FYI
    I did this at first and was coating entirely too much and started coming down in the quantities per many peoples suggestions (Kerik, Clay Harmon etc) and it works just as well.
    I think the amount of FO used to coat a print depends on the method of coating, type of paper and whether or not platinum is used in the form of NA2 or just the non double salts of platinum for color.

Doing the math:

Using Joe Lipkas example of 18 drops of FO for an 8x10 inch print size works out to 0.9 ml of FO (one assumes that each drop is approximately 0.05 ml).
    Using those quantites per print one could expect to coat 5 to 6 8x10 prints with 5 ml of FO. For the sake of simple math lets round that to 20 drops per 8x10 which yields 0.0125 ml per sq inch.

Using your figures of 1.2 ml of FO per 7x17, works out to about 0.0100 ml per sq. inch. A noticeble difference but not by an extreme amount.

Arentz reccomends 2.5 to 3 ml per 8x10 total amount of solution (FO + plt/pld Salt) (and also states that this qty can be reduced by 1/3 if using a coating rod). So assuming that one uses a coating rod to coat with, then using his minimum amount would be 0.8375 ml of FO or around the same qty that Joe is using.

The amount of coating could be further reduced if coating with a magic brush. Howver one difficulty crops up when a set ratio of FO+Metal Salt+NA2 is desired if one is measuring in drops to obtain a desired contrast or to prevent bronzing when printing with pure palladium. IOW, using a few more drops than minimally needed keeps these ratios easy to mix.

At any rate 18 to 20 drops of FO per 80 sq. inches may be a little heavy but not by too much.

It's been my experience that I'm a little happier using a tad too much than too little sensitizer and not producing a weak print.
    Don Bryant

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin