Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,469   Online: 932

Shooter
    Multi Format

Mixing your own Potassium Dichromate - Q2

Hello,

I still haven't mixed the Potassium Dichromate solution I asked about earlier. I have a good mask and eye protection, gloves etc, and I've read the MSDS and that. I'm quite uneasy about handling it and starting to think I should have just bought a solution. But the money is spent.

I'm nervous even having the stuff around. It's in a white plastic opaque container, sealed with electrical tape in a drawer. I live in an apartment so its not in a basement or anything, its meters away from my kitchen (in a drawer and sealed like I said). Should I be freaking out? I smoke, I'm exposed to enough carcinogens as it is.

I have a clean, spacious and organzied area to mix my chems. It's well ventilated and I use protection. Is there much "dust" when working with it? After I finish prep and storing, how much should I have to worry about residual particles in the air? I'm scared of prolonged exposure to (even with it in the container in a drawer).

Any advice is appreciated

Thanks,
    Gu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's good that you are doing the right thing (except for the smoking part). I would use enough precaution to prevent the worst thing happening in case of all possible accidents, but other than that, dichromate is not particularly dangerous to have in small quantity. I would also concern about disposal of the used solution. Dichromate (a hexavalent chromium compound) is harmful to the environment if sent to municipal sewer system, or to the environment. Use local hazardous material collection program.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Ryuji. I feel really stupid, I bought so much of it (since its relatively inexpensive and didn't want to need to continually pay shipping costs) but now I wish I hadn't. If anyone in Toronto needs a Potassium Dichromate connection, you've got one.

Thanks again Ryuji

Gu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are concerned about the quantity because I said "dichromate is not particularly dangerous to have in small quantity" then consider the following. Keep a clean bottle compatible with dichromate (such as brown glass or opaque plastic) and transfer a month's (or a few months') worth of use of the agent to it. Keep the master bottle tightly closed, boxed in a safe place. This way, in case of the worst accident, the amount of exposure to dichromate is limited to what you have in the small bottle.

Control of every bit of small exposure is important for some agents with different kind of toxicity, but with dichromate, I would put more focus on minimizing accidental exposure to it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok thanks Ryuji, I was planning on something to that effect. Does dichromate have a shelf life I should be aware of, I don't think I've read mention of one. Does it keep better in solution or in solid form?

Thanks again

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin