Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,707   Online: 856

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    One more nod for the Ritcheson. Will save you lots of $$$ in the not so long run.

Richeson brush......mmmmmmmmm yes.

Humidity......mmmmmmm bring it on!

Here's a tip: Immediately after coating your paper, do NOT blast away at it with the hair dryer in an effort to speed up the drying. Oh sure, you'll get dry paper but if you force dry it right away, you risk getting a mottled look to the image. It is better to let the paper rest for at least a minute or two after your last brush stroke. This allows the paper fibres to fully absorb the sensitizer and usually produces a smoother image.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Michael,

Could you hum a few more bars regarding how a Simmon Skywash requires a "different method"?

While you're on the topic, what other synthetic brushes have been used successfully with Pt/Pd coating?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mutmansky
    ... The only one other than the 9010 that I have experience with is the Simmons Skywash brush, but it does an equally good job. It takes a little different method, but otherwise is at least the equal to the 9010 in terms of coating quality.

---Michael

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Chris,

Well, it has a much longer and fuller bristle than the Richeson, so you have to be more careful about the brush slinging the solution around when you change directions. The Richeson has a fairly short and tightly bound set of bristles, so it tends to act much like a unit when wet, but the Simmons will act more 'brush-like' for want of a better word.

Both are used wet and both seem to absorb very little solution if you load them with water properly beforehand.

I know of one pt/pd printer who prefers the Simmons over the Richeson, and as I said, there is no qualitative difference in the resultant coating that I have been able to detect, given proper technique. I have and use both brushes, depending on the size of the print I am making.

My point was that while the Richeson is a great brush, it is not by any means the only brush out there that will do the job well. I suspect that just about any high quality wash brush made with synthetic bristles may do a very good job.

---Michael
    www.mutmansky.com
    B&W photography in Silver, Palladium, and gum bichromate.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Michael,

Thank you for the additional information.

I visited an art supplier on my way home tonight. I noticed that there are several makers of synthetic brushes up to 4 inches across. They are all fairly stiff, seemingly well made, and offer varying sized fibers.

In trying alternatives to the Magic Brush, are there properties one should consider important in the selection process? Stiffness? Width? ???

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mutmansky
    ... I know of one pt/pd printer who prefers the Simmons over the Richeson, and as I said, there is no qualitative difference in the resultant coating that I have been able to detect, given proper technique. I have and use both brushes, depending on the size of the print I am making.

My point was that while the Richeson is a great brush, it is not by any means the only brush out there that will do the job well. I suspect that just about any high quality wash brush made with synthetic bristles may do a very good job.

---Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    While we're talking about Richeson brushes, does anyone know of a source for them in Canada? My local art supply stores don't carry them (as far as I know!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cperez
    In trying alternatives to the Magic Brush, are there properties one should consider important in the selection process? Stiffness? Width? ???
    I've tried several other synthetic brushes including the Simmons and although I have been basically happy with them, they are all a bit more stiff than the "magic brush". There is something about the supple quality of the fibers in the Richeson that makes the coating a more delicate and smooth process. Although a personal choice, I would look for something less stiff and not too coarse. The less impact on the paper while brushing, the better. However, if you are looking for the "artistic' brushed border look, a more coarse or "fuller" bristle as MM said is better IMO. It gives more of a brushed look. As for width, I find that for prints up to 8x10 a 2 inch works fine for me.

Hope this helps,

Bill

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan
    While we're talking about Richeson brushes, does anyone know of a source for them in Canada? My local art supply stores don't carry them (as far as I know!)

You could try Jerry's Artarama on the web. They have very good prices. About shipping to Canada, you are probably more of an expert on that than me.

http://www.jerrysartarama.com/
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Winsor Newton Sceptre Gold II Sable/Synthetic wash. I've used them both, the richeson and the sceptre and by far prefer the sable brush.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Brilliant! This and other comments are most illuminating. Thank you, all!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RobertP
    Winsor Newton Sceptre Gold II Sable/Synthetic wash. I've used them both, the richeson and the sceptre and by far prefer the sable brush.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin