Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,946   Posts: 1,585,850   Online: 1034

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Roger,

they look even better, I think - you see, I didn't fiddle too much with all those scanner controls, I'm seriously afraid of electricity

And foreign visa stuff is the same here - pretty Cold-War, I must confess... I shudder when I recall my appeal for US or French visa - and that's all this bad even when I live in Moscow, can't imagine how many pain in ass should it be to someone from another 6 time zones of Russia! And we've got two passports, one internal and one foreign... your case is not the worst, definitely

Hope to see you soon, good luck - Zhenya

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    If they look as good as they do on the truly awful monitor on my internet computer, they must be pretty good!

Oh; and I checked the visa stuff. Still pretty Soviet, I'm afraid. But as soon as it changes, I hope to see you.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi Zhenya,

"I can't even think out the foreign analogue for MZ film - is there still any?"

A direct replacement is Kodak Aerocon II 2422 'Direct Positive'.
    They also make 2425 negative film. There is some 2422 on ebay now, it comes up often. Nice for lens tests, it's rated to 500lpm and can be handled under safelight. I never thought to use it for portraits.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Zhenya,

My father was in the 1960s the Electrical Officer on HM Royal Yacht Britannia (in fact I spent my 16th birthday on board). He is a steam engineer by training. His comment on elecricity: "I don't trust it. You can't see it, and it bites."

Yes, the EU (and US) visa requirements are absurdly restrictive too. Never mind. As soon as we can get back in easily, we'll see you in Moscow.

You wouldn't be going to photokina by any chance?

Cheers,

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by eumenius
    Hi Roger,

they look even better, I think - you see, I didn't fiddle too much with all those scanner controls, I'm seriously afraid of electricity

And foreign visa stuff is the same here - pretty Cold-War, I must confess... I shudder when I recall my appeal for US or French visa - and that's all this bad even when I live in Moscow, can't imagine how many pain in ass should it be to someone from another 6 time zones of Russia! And we've got two passports, one internal and one foreign... your case is not the worst, definitely

Hope to see you soon, good luck - Zhenya

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Zhenya,
    They all look pretty darn good to me, I wonder how you got the young Yul Brenner to pose for you? :-) Really a "Good job", If you try Jim's suggestion I hope you will keep us informed.

Charlie..........................

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Heh, specialty Kodak films... still made, that's good! I don't think they could be imported to Russia, I remember my story with Kodak and electron microscopy film - I still get shivers sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by phfitz
    Hi Zhenya,

"I can't even think out the foreign analogue for MZ film - is there still any?"

A direct replacement is Kodak Aerocon II 2422 'Direct Positive'.
    They also make 2425 negative film. There is some 2422 on ebay now, it comes up often. Nice for lens tests, it's rated to 500lpm and can be handled under safelight. I never thought to use it for portraits.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Roger,

if there is any help I might offer, let me know - and I hope you would get the visa anyway, so I and my darkroom would welcome you

Photokina should be a nice place to visit, but I'm afraid I'm too busy and too poor to go there

Cheers, and see you in Russia soon - Zhenya

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    Dear Zhenya,

My father was in the 1960s the Electrical Officer on HM Royal Yacht Britannia (in fact I spent my 16th birthday on board). He is a steam engineer by training. His comment on elecricity: "I don't trust it. You can't see it, and it bites."

Yes, the EU (and US) visa requirements are absurdly restrictive too. Never mind. As soon as we can get back in easily, we'll see you in Moscow.

You wouldn't be going to photokina by any chance?

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Charles,

I'm very pleased to hear from you that the effects I inadvertently created with unsensibilized film and uncoated lens are pleasing to your eye. It definitely beats the pants off that long sought-after ortho film effect - the main drawback is a low film speed, but it still works Everyone around kept asking me which Photoshop filter did I employ for such a dark complexion, hehehe

Yes, Yul Brenner was originally from Russia - so my dear friend Lesha should be his reserve copy, no doubt They look really similar in many ways, that's right - and I'm really itching to do more good LF portraits of him, maybe even for a small friendly exhibition He's a very nice guy, too - not only an excellent model.

Thanks, Charles, and I promise to keep you informed about this Jim's trick - that could be very interesting, an in-camera masking.

Cheers,
    Zhenya

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Webb
    Zhenya,
    They all look pretty darn good to me, I wonder how you got the young Yul Brenner to pose for you? :-) Really a "Good job", If you try Jim's suggestion I hope you will keep us informed.

Charlie..........................

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think you have it wrong in relation to your lighting set-up. Most classic portraiture in the era of blue-sensitive emulsions, and wet-plate photography was done with diffused sunlight comming through skylights and modified with cloth diffusers and reflector panels to fill in the shadow side.

I have often wondered if the same "blue sensitivity" only effect could be achieved on panchromatic film with a deep blue filter?

Phototone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You say that that's direct positive film?

So that's a direct, non-invereted scan from the film?

Shooter
    Large Format
    I don't get what you mean by "color blind" emulsion. All emulsion reacts somewhat to color, it's just how physics works.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin