Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,516   Posts: 1,543,740   Online: 878

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Old-style portraiture on color-blind slow emulsion - an example :)

Hello friends,

while I got hold on a box of 4 ASA unsensibilized film, MZ-3 (Russian, made by FoMos), I tried to reconstruct the early-style portraits with it. It came in 13x18 sheets, that can be cut in two and loaded in standart 9x12 holders. A halogen light, 150/6.3 Tessar made ca. 1939, a patient model (1 second exposure, ewww), and f/8-11. The results are pleasing me - but do you notice this fuzziness? Right, I've made a mistake on this test - loaded the film backwards, so it's exposed through its base - thanks to absent antihalation layer I wouldn't post a defective scan, ever - but my blunder has created some interesting diffusion, so I've decided to show it here anyway

Picture 1
    Picture 2
    Picture 3

How do you like the tonal rendition of skin and eyes, eh?

Cheers, Zhenya

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hi Zhenya, The flesh tones look very good especially in the last two shots. It's amazing that these shots turned out so well considering that the plates were, apparently, exposed wrong way round. Thanks for sharing.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi zhenya. These have a very excellent look. Well done. Men are "redder" in complexion to women it seems so these films always seem to see them darker than the ladies. What will happen if you expose 2 sheets in the same holder emulsion to emulsion then register the 2 identical negs back to back so the light difuses even more. You'll need to double exposure time if you try it I think.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    I really like these, Zhenya. The slight fuzziness contributes to the image. Thanks for sharing.
    —Eric

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Good work, Zhenya!

I may have to get you to get me some of those films - I've got a grand old 13x18cm camera, and a few grand old (portrait) lenses!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Brad, glad to see that you liked it! In fact, that's only the first try - I promise to shoot something better just to explore this old-style color space The MZ-3 film has no anti-halation layer at all, so it's even difficult to understand which side is emulsion while cutting and loading - that's why I made a mistake It mimicks exactly the old regular plates - a fine-grained contrasty color-blind emulsion, slow enough. And the flesh tones are very pleasing indeed - I like them better than ortho rendition.

Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    Hi Zhenya, The flesh tones look very good especially in the last two shots. It's amazing that these shots turned out so well considering that the plates were, apparently, exposed wrong way round. Thanks for sharing.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If they look as good as they do on the truly awful monitor on my internet computer, they must be pretty good!

Oh; and I checked the visa stuff. Still pretty Soviet, I'm afraid. But as soon as it changes, I hope to see you.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Jim, it's a real pleasure to hear it from you - I am glad that you like the look of my test pictures. I have a feeling that I've overdeveloped the negs, later I would reduce the time in third - just not to step on the same rakes with contrast, the film itself is quite contrasty. I am planning to go and try shooting some urban landscapes on this film - I expect something interesting and unusual, like dark brick houses etc.

In fact, MZ-3 is a positive film, made for film copying, making masks and diapositives from it - it's thin, so I can try to expose it the way you propose, both sheets should fit the holder nicely. I thought to put a sheet of undeveloped wasted sheet of FT-41 film back to unexposed MZ sheet in holder, just to suppress halation with it - if I would ever want to subdue this wonderful effect, so wanted sometimes In your scheme, double exposure and shorter development should do. I would try it

Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli
    Hi zhenya. These have a very excellent look. Well done. Men are "redder" in complexion to women it seems so these films always seem to see them darker than the ladies. What will happen if you expose 2 sheets in the same holder emulsion to emulsion then register the 2 identical negs back to back so the light difuses even more. You'll need to double exposure time if you try it I think.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Eric, I just didn't expect that my blunder would come out so nicely - dark skin tones were not completely expected to this magnitude, and I was so fortunate to have no antihalo layer, plus the film base was relatively clear I found out that I've exposed the film reversed only when I printed the first contacts, by letters on T-shirt of Lesha )) In fact, these pictures are just a small miracle - they happen sometimes, to much fun of people outside Thanks for good words!

Quote Originally Posted by resummerfield
    I really like these, Zhenya. The slight fuzziness contributes to the image. Thanks for sharing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Ole, I would be glad to help you with these - they're very good and quite cheap. I can't even think out the foreign analogue for MZ film - is there still any? BTW, what does the postal service say about sending undeveloped films - is it okay? This film is quite slow, and I doubt that any reasonable X-rays could damage it...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    Good work, Zhenya!

I may have to get you to get me some of those films - I've got a grand old 13x18cm camera, and a few grand old (portrait) lenses!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin