Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,770   Posts: 1,516,518   Online: 778

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    here is the test.
    the darker image is after the lightning processed with hydrogloric acid. the other one with water & vinegar.

Both papers were lighted at the same time and for the same duration.
    I left them for +/- 48 hours before i scanned them.

Willie Jan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Left one looks good to me, Good work,now i need to get me some hydrochloric acid!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, the difference is obvious. Willie Jan, have you used a 1% solution of hydrochloric?
    This test strip result shows the virtue of mineral acid for New Cyanotypes. Bear in mind that Mike Ware in these days recommends nitric acid, though I don't think this makes a difference to hcl for the final result.
    Let me ask a few more questions, just to make sure:
    Have you used a contrast agent (am di) in your test strip, or citric acid to lower contrast?
    Was the dried sensitizer yellow on the paper when you exposed it?
    Did you expect these flowers to be white/would they be near-white in a normal bromide print, or are you happy with the light blue?
    I ask because, to be perfectly honest, as far as I can see on my screen, the test strip still looks a bit veiled, and the blues in the shadows could be darker. But to state anything further here, it is necessary to know the artist's intentions/the whole picture/about the quality of the negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just an additional thought: for a test strip at this stage, it might be informative to not completely cover it with the neg, but expose also a piece of "splatter border" This is always the last to recover from solarisation, but should show a blue very near to black in New Cyanotye (as in well executed traditional, if you ask me).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukas Werth
    Yes, the difference is obvious. Willie Jan, have you used a 1% solution of hydrochloric?
    Yes.

Have you used a contrast agent (am di) in your test strip, or citric acid to lower contrast?
    No, i still have some cyanotype left without the contrast agent.

Was the dried sensitizer yellow on the paper when you exposed it? Did you expect these flowers to be white/would they be near-white in a normal bromide print, or are you happy with the light blue?
    The dried sensitizer was light green, because i took 2 small pieces of cot 320 paper to test, i did not prewash them to see what happens. Next step is to prewash the paper, ander after lighting wash with hydrogloric to see the final result.

For now i am waiting on my chemical order....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks guys for doing the research, i am waiting for some hydrochloric acid, seems quite hard to order in the u.k.

At the moment i am still using fabriano artistico without the pre acid bath and getting a lot better results now if i immidiately expose it under uv light once the sensitiser is dry, around 3-4 mins. The sensitiser remians yellowey green. This seems to give me the highlights and shadow tones that i like. Will post an example later once i have scanned them in.

However at the moment i am also having the problem inconsitant areas of the image being out of focus, i pressume this is because of the sensistised paper is curling slightly and not getting the perfect contact with the negative. I make sure the image is very tight in the contact frame but am still having this problem. I again presume a way around this problem would be that if i have the hydro acid pre wash and then add the sensitiser, let it dry fully and then flatten it, this will solve the problem, but is rather long winded.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Davec101
    Thanks guys for doing the research, i am waiting for some hydrochloric acid, seems quite hard to order in the u.k.
    I am sorry I have not checked in for a while.
    To get HCL I just walk over the road, and get it in a hardware store. Should not be too difficult in the UK either; have you tried some common drugstores?

As for the paper, try a sort which curls less; a heavier quality maybe?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    i found it in a paint shop, and a shop where they sell tools and materials for houses.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin