Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,989   Posts: 1,524,078   Online: 1080

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gumover VDB?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    [QUOTE=donbga]Yes I've read that article, I was hoping to get some info from someone that may have done this already, such as how to make the pins work in a vacuum easel, tips on pin placement, etc.

Don,
    I have a registration system consisting of a punch and pins made by Ternes Burton http://www.ternesburton.com/. The punch is strong enough to punch a sheet of aluminum so the pins can be pushed through from the back and the whole assembly is thin enough at just over 1/8th" not to cause any problems in my 33"x43" vacuum frame. I usually have to extend the distance between the pins and the image with film offcuts to get the placement of the image on the paper just right, so the distance between the pins and the image is always at least 4-5". This helps to ensure the film is always tight against the paper. With an image that would sit closer to the pins, I would think that full contact could be a problem.
    The paper is mounted using Fusion 4000, which is archival, and afterwards I remove the print from the aluminum and remount it onto another sheet of the same paper.
    Keith.
    Keith Taylor
    Platinum, Photogravure and Historic Process Editions
    Website | Weblog | Google+ | Facebook
    2011 Minnesota Center for Book Arts/Jerome Foundation Mentorship Program recipient

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    [QUOTE=Keith Taylor]
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga
    Yes I've read that article, I was hoping to get some info from someone that may have done this already, such as how to make the pins work in a vacuum easel, tips on pin placement, etc.

Don,
    I have a registration system consisting of a punch and pins made by Ternes Burton http://www.ternesburton.com/. The punch is strong enough to punch a sheet of aluminum so the pins can be pushed through from the back and the whole assembly is thin enough at just over 1/8th" not to cause any problems in my 33"x43" vacuum frame. I usually have to extend the distance between the pins and the image with film offcuts to get the placement of the image on the paper just right, so the distance between the pins and the image is always at least 4-5". This helps to ensure the film is always tight against the paper. With an image that would sit closer to the pins, I would think that full contact could be a problem.
    The paper is mounted using Fusion 4000, which is archival, and afterwards I remove the print from the aluminum and remount it onto another sheet of the same paper.
    Keith.
    Thanks very much Keith. May I ask how thick or what guage your aluminum is and where do you source it?

Thanks,

Don
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Medium Format
    [QUOTE=donbga]
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Taylor

May I ask how thick or what guage your aluminum is and where do you source it?
    Don
    It's 1/16th" thick and I just buy it from the hardware store. To support it in the water (my sheets are around 24"x36") and keep it from sinking, I use six 35mm metal spirals.

Keith.
    Keith Taylor
    Platinum, Photogravure and Historic Process Editions
    Website | Weblog | Google+ | Facebook
    2011 Minnesota Center for Book Arts/Jerome Foundation Mentorship Program recipient

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    [QUOTE=Keith Taylor]
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga

It's 1/16th" thick and I just buy it from the hardware store. To support it in the water (my sheets are around 24"x36") and keep it from sinking, I use six 35mm metal spirals.

Keith.
    Thanks Keith.

Any chance you could post a pic of the pin registerd aluminum, paper, film sandwhich sometime. I'm curious to see what it may look like. Thanks again for the link.
    Don Bryant

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin