Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,916   Posts: 1,521,911   Online: 1081

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Salt prints: Blue discolouring?

Arches Aquarelle, soaked in a solution of 2% ammonium chloride and distilled water, with 12% AgNO3 brushed on after drying (AgNO3 solution also contains 6% citric acid). Paper is dried, then contact-printed, everything looks okay, washed with tap water (5-10mins), fixed in 5% sodium thiosulfate (5mins), washed (5mins), hypo-clear (5mins), washed (~10mins).

Somewhere in the wash, part of the print will discolour to blue. I figure it might have something to do with my tap water? Perhaps the chlorine??

Any ideas??

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    FWIW I abandoned using Arches for any alternative process print long ago as the sizing did not seem to be consistent. The emulsion would not take evenly and lots of round and ovoid areas of different densities appeared during processing.

I'd suggest you try a different paper. Perhaps Cranes Cover, Cranes Kid Finish or Strathmore 500 plate.

Can you post a scan?

Blochiness is usually the result of uneven drying (and hence sensitivity) before exposure. But it sounds like post-exposure your print did not suffer from that effect but rather turned late in the processing.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'll second Strathmore Plate. I use it for all my historic process printing now.

- Randy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Here's a low-res scan, you can see the blue-ness at the bottom of the image..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails blue_splotch.png  

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I do not have the problem. My processing differs in several aspects from yours, but I believe the main one is that after exposure the print is soaked once again in NaCL solution. This seems to help probably by uniting all of the silver with the Cl radical rather than leaving some with the NO3 radical. This gives me more intense shadows and thus improves the contrast.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Well I'll have to give that a try then!

I've also bought some Strathmore 500 paper, I'll see if that helps.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin