Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,347   Online: 770

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I feel like I just now getting into it......so here is a relative beginner's experience thusfar.....Cyanotype is easy and cheap, but it is blue. I like it for some images, but not too many. Then, I tried Van dyke. Van Dyke is just as easy as cyanotype (e.g. still a printing out process) and still inexpensive. I did them both as straight prints and gold toned (gold toning adds maybe a dolar per print). I wish I'd started with VanDyke. I'll be trying palladium toned kallitype soon now that I feel more comfortable with the whole process.

Have fun -- Mark

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

I can't tell ya

As the brothers Isley once crooned:

"It's your thang. Do what ya wanna do."

Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, guess I could relate how I started (and still feel the novice at it). First pass was with Ziatypes (see Bostick & Sullivan) a POP process using palladium. Did this using the sun as a light source (not recommended, unless unsure of continuation of other alt process). Built a UV Box, yeah!!! could print anytime and was much more reliable. Then started with VDB, these were fun and toned in LiPd or KRST some came out quite nice, but not the look I wanted. Bit the bullet and started palladium (see Kerik's comment above - it really is not that expensive) and seem quite happy with them.

I still do Zia's, they have there place (great to get those different color's). Depending on the humidity where you live, they are a fun process (like Wayne said). Sandy's point about the kallitype is also something to consider...just have not made it to that process yet. Best advice I can offer is try the process that interest you, I found learning with 4x5 negatives saved paper and chemistry so consider that, and most of all get some GOOD paper for the process you intend to learn. Read everything you can (if you do go with VDB, be aware that the hypo will bleach them and that dry down is much more apparent in some alt process than in silver - at least IMO)>

Good luck, have fun and let us see something soon. Oh, and congrats on the UV box.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    Color seems to be an alternative process around here.
    Lets hope it stays that way! lol
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Do the blue thing
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin