Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,170   Online: 1060

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Rives BFK Velin for pt/pd

Hi,

I just bought a sheet of Rives BFK Velin. Looks a little rough on the surface. Is this different than Rives BFK vellum? The last time I read here, it should be soak in 1%-2% OA for 5 min, single coat, blow dry, rehumidify before printing. Is this right info? Thanks!

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by eggshell
    Hi,

I just bought a sheet of Rives BFK Velin. Looks a little rough on the surface. Is this different than Rives BFK vellum? The last time I read here, it should be soak in 1%-2% OA for 5 min, single coat, blow dry, rehumidify before printing. Is this right info? Thanks!
    That should work fine, I soak for 10 minutes and interleave the paper carefully to keep from roughing up the paper. Hang to dry.

Ideally your coating area will have the proper humidity. Leave several sheets for a printing session out to reach ambient humidity. Coat. Blow dry briefly after letting the sensitiaer set for a minute. Rehumidify the paper. You can do this by letting the paper sit for about 30 minutes or so in you coating area with the lights out or by using a humidifier.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hi Don,

Thanks for the reply. I made a print today. Very nice paper. Easy to handle and good blacks. Less expensive too. Hmm... I like it already! Now I can throw away the platinotype.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Hi Don,

Thanks for the reply. I made a print today. Very nice paper. Easy to handle and good blacks. Less expensive too. Hmm... I like it already! Now I can throw away the platinotype.
    Now you are ready for gum overs!
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga
    Now you are ready for gum overs!

Sounds good to me. But first, I'll have to reprint most of the photographs made previously on platinotype. Platinotype looks grayish, hazy and lifeless. Looks like s**t!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Platinotype looks grayish, hazy and lifeless. Looks like s**t!
    Don't say I didn't warn you...
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerik
    Don't say I didn't warn you...
    Never doubted you. Thanks! :-)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin