Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,943   Posts: 1,585,766   Online: 1171

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Gloss Varnish Medium. I think the Matte Medium willl work as well, but haven't tried it.

I have tried it on a PD print, but I like the look of a waxed print better. You could do anywhere from 1:4 or so to 1:11 depending on how much gloss you want. However, waxing takes considerable time and some skill, so that is not for everyone.

It did occur to me to try a dip in the liquitex and then wax after. The liquitex may help encapsulate the paper fibers, which could make the waxing a lot easier. I haven't tried it though. I would be thinking of maybe 1:11 for that.

---Michael
    www.mutmansky.com
    B&W photography in Silver, Palladium, and gum bichromate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Michael, will have to pick some up and give it a try...will start with the 1:11 dil.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mutmansky
    Gloss Varnish Medium. I think the Matte Medium willl work as well, but haven't tried it.

I have tried it on a PD print, but I like the look of a waxed print better. You could do anywhere from 1:4 or so to 1:11 depending on how much gloss you want. However, waxing takes considerable time and some skill, so that is not for everyone.

It did occur to me to try a dip in the liquitex and then wax after. The liquitex may help encapsulate the paper fibers, which could make the waxing a lot easier. I haven't tried it though. I would be thinking of maybe 1:11 for that.

---Michael
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    just a heads up for those in the Continental US and who happen to do either gum printing or gumover printing.

I went by Hobby Lobby yesterday they are having a 33% sale for all paints. Including watercolor pigments. I started doing gum bichromate over pt/pd with the Grumbacher watercolor pigments, I noticed some staining with many color so I decided to replace my pigments with the higher quality Winsor&Newton Artist's Watercolor pigments. Managed to get nearly 12 different 5ml tubes for just over $50 (not bad considering that even at discount art stores the 5ml tubes are roughly $5).

Wanted to pass on the heads up and savings possibility. The sale is apparently going on till this coming saturday (22 July).

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Scooter,

I have one word for you...

Daniel Smith

OK, that's two words. They make a great line of watercolor paints and their prices are the best around. All paints made in Seattle. The also do a free shipping and free paint offer if you buy a certain amount, which I seem to never have a problem meeting.

WN is great paint, but the cost can be a bit much, especially in retail situations. The exchange rate isn't helping much, either.

---Michael
    www.mutmansky.com

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mutmansky
    Scooter,

I have one word for you...

Daniel Smith

OK, that's two words. They make a great line of watercolor paints and their prices are the best around. All paints made in Seattle. The also do a free shipping and free paint offer if you buy a certain amount, which I seem to never have a problem meeting.

WN is great paint, but the cost can be a bit much, especially in retail situations. The exchange rate isn't helping much, either.

---Michael
    I would encourage anyone that is doing gum or gum overs to also consider M. Graham brand of water color pigments. M. Graham pigments are nicely priced and can be found discounted here.

http://www.shoptheartstore.com/produ...5A5D7AFBDD7051

M. Graham doesn't produce as many convenience colors as Daniel Smith or Winsor Newton but certainly have equal quality as DS & WN.

The Daniel Smith and WN pigments that I've used have worked great so if you like those stick with them.

[font=Arial] [/font]
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Don,

M Graham paints are great as well from the reports I've heard. I have a few tubes here to do trials with, but haven't done so yet.

Both of these companies make very high quality, high pigment load paints with pure pigments, as long as you select the right colors. There are many blends in the DS list, but there are a number of pure pigment paints as well. Both are also USA made, so a bit less subject to the perils of international exchange rates.

One thing that is interesting is that you won't get the same color on the print from the same 'color' from two different manufacturers. I recently did a comparison between a WN burnt umber and the DS version. the WN has more red undertones to it, if I recall correctly. Most colors are pretty close across the manufacturers, but one color seems to have little consistancy from manufacturer to manufacturer; raw umber.

---Michael
    www.mutmansky.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    thanks for the info Don and Michael

have another one for you who are more experienced.

are any of these colors to be avoided because of staining or just not being conducive to gum over printing?
    These are the colors I purchased:
    Terre Verte
    Olive Green
    Green Gold
    Burnt Umber
    Burnt Sienna
    Indian Red
    Perylene Maroon
    yellow ochre
    naples yellow
    new gamboge
    cobalt blue
    cerulean blue
    nuetral tint
    ivory black

all are winsor & newton

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scootermm
    thanks for the info Don and Michael

have another one for you who are more experienced.

are any of these colors to be avoided because of staining or just not being conducive to gum over printing?
    These are the colors I purchased:

snip

all are winsor & newton
    Matt,
    Go here to the rather funky W&N website. Click "Exit" on the floating site preview thingy. The, click on "Water Colours" then "Artists Water Colors" then the vertical tab on the left that says "Colour Chart". This is a PDF that will give you general info about their pigments' permanence, transparency and staining characteristics. This chart is also often available for free at stores that sell their paints. Schminke (one of my personal fave brands) makes a fantastic catalog describing thier pigments in much more detail.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerik
    Matt,
    Go here to the rather funky W&N website.
    funky website is right.
    I would never have found that if you hadnt explained it. I searched for it and couldnt find the info before I posted this. Thanks kerik.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    For by far the most comprehensive information that I have found on watercolor pigments, etc. look here:

http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/water.html

This guy has taken OC disorder to a whole new level.

---Michael
    www.mutmansky.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin