Hello. I'm fairly new at platinum printing. I'm contacting printing 8x10 negs. I've had some success, but I ran across a situation where I was doing available light portraits, and there wasn't enough light available. And then I wondered: Why not just expose them 600 or 800?
My basic method so far has been this: txp metered at 200, tray developed in xtol 1:1. (I'm not using pyro for a number of reasons). B&S NA2 pt/pd kit.
In smaller formats and silver enlargements, the disadvantages of pushing are grain and contrast, right? But isn't it true that neither is a factor with a platinum contact print? Sometimes I wonder if the increased contrast of a slight push might even have some benefits. Anyone tried it? Anyone have suggestions for a good general starting E.I. for tri-x intended for platinum? And what of shadow detail? It's not nearly as important in these portraits as it would be in a landscape, but it would be nice to have some detail, say, on the dark side of a side-lit face.
Also, I should mention that I'm not one of those who believes an 8x10 portrait needs to be shot at f45. I've been pleasantly surprised to find I could get a fairly sharp image at f8, and I actually like the very narrow dof. So if the consensus is that I need to keep shooting tri-x at E.I. 200 or 320, I'll be able to make it work.
Thanks much for the patience with a platinum rookie!
E