Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,914   Posts: 1,556,289   Online: 977

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Cyanotypes - Happy Accidents

I was experimenting with tea toning yesterday and today and decided to try belaching with either bleach or ammonia. Rather than mess up some good prints, I started with some badly overexposed prints that had been printed from a negative with too little density range for a Cyanotype. And I couldn't find the ammonia bottle, so I grabbed some window glass cleaner (containing ammonia and isopropyl, plus ingredients unknown) and mixed it roughly 1:3 with water. Shortly after I put the prints in, I noticed that the lighter areas were bleaching out faster than the darker, restoring the contrast to normal. I think I have recovered several prints this way now, though all have gone a bit purple. Will post some scans when they dry.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Great stuff, I look forward to seing the results. I never throw 'failed' prints, they're always good for experimenting with.

J
    ~John~
    --------------------------
    www.johnbrewerphotography.com
    There are 10 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Shooter
    Multi Format

cyanotypes - happy accidents

I too would love to see this purple colour you speak of, david.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    DBP,
    I also use household ammonia cleaner as a bleach for cyanotypes. Just like you, I figured that - what the heck - since I don't have any "real" ammonia on hand and wouldn't know where to buy any, I just diluted some Windex and put a little bit in a tray of water. Works wonders. Other alkalines work just as well, since bleaching cyanotypes is basically immersion in alkaline solutions. While activity is correlated with Ph, temperature, agitation, dilution, and that sort of thing, it boils down to bleaching the print to some visually acceptable level.

Very dilute developer (paper or film developer) works. Baking soda too. TSP the laundry additive is another. I've tried a number of household items, and you probably can come across other things as well. I work with these in a rather imprecise way, sprinkling this and that by guesswork. After all, I can watch the bleaching process closely and then pull the print at the approximate time. My wife, needless to say, frowns on all my experiments, since I use up all her kitchen stuff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recently used weak household bleach on a cyanoprint I inadvertantly exposed for just over 2 hours (I forgot it while I was watching football). After bleaching it produced a suprisingly useable print.

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The purple produced by alkali bleaching is reputedly not stable. I think it turns to regular cyanotype blue, but it may just fade with time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP
    I was experimenting with tea toning yesterday and today and decided to try belaching with either bleach or ammonia. Rather than mess up some good prints, I started with some badly overexposed prints that had been printed from a negative with too little density range for a Cyanotype. And I couldn't find the ammonia bottle, so I grabbed some window glass cleaner (containing ammonia and isopropyl, plus ingredients unknown) and mixed it roughly 1:3 with water. Shortly after I put the prints in, I noticed that the lighter areas were bleaching out faster than the darker, restoring the contrast to normal. I think I have recovered several prints this way now, though all have gone a bit purple. Will post some scans when they dry.
    Do not mix household bleach or any hypochlorite containing product with ammonia containing products. Anything with the potential to generate chlorine mixed with ammonia generating materials will produce a very toxic gas.

PE

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer
    Do not mix household bleach or any hypochlorite containing product with ammonia containing products. Anything with the potential to generate chlorine mixed with ammonia generating materials will produce a very toxic gas.

PE
    Thanks for the warning, but I haven't forgotten that much chemistry. The two trays were even spaced a fair distance apart to prevent splashes.

The color had migrated to a slightly green tinted blue by the time things were dry. Here's the example I promised:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Royce-windexed-cyano.jpg  

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    That resembles and un- or under-washed cyanotype -- I'd be strongly tempted to give it another wash in slightly acidified water to see if the yellow washes out (if it does, you want it to, because it'll be an iron-ammonia complex or salt that is likely to be very bad for your print over the medium to long term -- based on your description of the bleaching process, possibly ferric ammonium chloride).
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, I'll give that a try. Some of the other prints don't have the yellow cast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin