Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,750   Posts: 1,515,798   Online: 977

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Difference between Bromoil & "Bromoil Transfer"?

I've been really intrigued with Bromoil images I've seen and was wondering what the difference is between that & bromoil transfer?

Thanks in advance...

-Dorothy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.silverprint.co.uk/info/sos18.html

No doubt one of our Bromoil experts here can explain in more detail - what it says on the link is about my total knowledge of the process...

There's also some reading matter here: http://alt-photo.com/alt-photo/bromo...ng%20room.html

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by djkloss
    I've been really intrigued with Bromoil images I've seen and was wondering what the difference is between that & bromoil transfer?

Thanks in advance...

-Dorothy
    In bromoil a monochrome image on a special paper is bleached and then inked up by brush or brayer with a special ink.That is the final print. In bromoil transfer the ink image of a bromoil print is then transferred to another paper support, using some type of press. Bromoil transfer prints usually have a matte surface look, while bromoils generally shown some sheen from the gelatin coating of the original silver paper.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Large Format
    Check out David Lewis site His book Art of Bromoil & Transfer is highly recommended ( as well as Gene Laughter's book).
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sandy, a bromoil print doesn't have to be an monochromatic image. Many bromoilists ink the print with various colors of lithographic ink. I just posted a bromoil transfer on the Standard Gallery.

Cheers!

Gene

Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    In bromoil a monochrome image on a special paper is bleached and then inked up by brush or brayer with a special ink.That is the final print. In bromoil transfer the ink image of a bromoil print is then transferred to another paper support, using some type of press. Bromoil transfer prints usually have a matte surface look, while bromoils generally shown some sheen from the gelatin coating of the original silver paper.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene_Laughter
    Sandy, a bromoil print doesn't have to be an monochromatic image. Many bromoilists ink the print with various colors of lithographic ink. I just posted a bromoil transfer on the Standard Gallery.

Cheers!

Gene
    Hi Gene,

You are right, of course. I was simply thinking in terms of monochrome bromoil versus true three-color bromoil tranfers.

During my research on Pictorialism in Spain I saw quite a number of full color bromoil tranfers. The look was very pleasing.

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fifty to 100 years ago, full color Bromoils were done routinely.

The photographer used one of the beam splitting 3 color cameras.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Done routinely? That's certainly news to me!!!

Gene

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    While this thread is hot....
    I posted a while back a question concerning bromoil on aluminium plates; to which I received no replies. My question is simple - does anyone have experience with this method ?

Thanks !

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thinking more about this subject - When I look back at some of the luminary American bromoil transfer artists of yesteryears, who exhibited their work widely: Arthur Kales, Wm. Mortensen, Chas. Partington, Ralph Davis, Robert Desme, Hugo Rudinger, Clarence Koch, Arthur Hammond and Raymond Hanson, none of these bromoilists worked in tri-color or 4 color transfer. Ed Bafford in Baltimore did full color transfers occasionly, but not routinely. A few commercial photographers did utilize full color bromoil transfers for magazine illustrations. In Europe 3 and 4 color transfers were used more by art photographers than in the U.K. and America. Rontag in Austria comes to mind and Sandy mentioned that he viewed some nice color prints in Spain. I organized a bromoil show in Richmond last October, "The Art of Bromoil" and we exhibited many vintage bromoils and bromoil transfers. Rontag's family shipped over some of his magnificent full color transfers - breath taking!!!

Take a few minutes to view his prints:
    http://www.gryspeerdt.co.uk/rontag_gallery.html

I have examined the print collection of the Bromoil Circle of Great Britain (which was founded in 1932). It contains no full color transfers.

I would be most interested from a historic standpoint of the names of some of the artists who routinely produced full color bromoil transfer prints.

Thanks and cheers!

Gene

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer

PE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin