Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,526   Posts: 1,543,909   Online: 1058

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    F., Let me make a suggestion. Save yourself the time and trouble of asking one question at a time. There are about as many bromoil formulas, tools and methods as there are bromoilists.

Download the book linked below and read it well. Get your materials together and start making some bromoil prints. You'll make plenty of mistakes but you can learn from them. Practice. Experiment. Just do it! :>)

http://tinyurl.com/flvgk

Good luck,

Gene Laughter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    By the way, If there is one thing I have learned about bromoil it is that what works for one worker in the process doesn't mean that it will work for another. This applies to exposure, papers used, soak times, types of bromoil brushes used, inking methods and techniques, degree of ink stiffness -- and what have you. Some of us working in bromoil have a pet saying, "Whatever works, works!" Each bromoilist must find their own way and determine their own methodology. As an example I knew Norman Gryspeerdt. When inking a print he pounded the ink onto the matrix. Most other bromoilists use a light touch. The pounding method worked for Norman, however and it was right for him!!! I suggest that you purchase the Gryspeerdt video. There is a wealth of information there.

Give yourself a deadline and a goal. Show us a bromoil print within 30 days!!!!

Cheers,

Gene Laughter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene_Laughter
    By the way, If there is one thing I have learned about bromoil it is that what works for one worker in the process doesn't mean that it will work for another. This applies to exposure, papers used, soak times, types of bromoil brushes used, inking methods and techniques, degree of ink stiffness -- and what have you.
    Based on years of Bromoil experience, I can heartily endorse what Gene is saying. Get 10 Bromoilists in a room and you'll get 12 or 15 distinctly different approaches to even the most basic aspects of the process.
    Get up to your elbows in matrices and ink and you'll find what works for you.
    Regards,
    Tom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Tom! Back to the Whalley book. It was written in 1961 so read it for a broad understanding of the process and don't take everything literally. Be loose and don't split hairs. Keep in mind that bromoil will be a challange and have both patience and persistance. Some learn to ink very good bromoil prints in a few days. It takes others months or even years! One of the top bromoilists that I know spent several months struggling and then - eureka! The light came on and she took off in creative and technical flight! Don't give up. Accept the challenge and find your own path to success in the process. Nail down inking a bromoil print in black or brown ink. Don't even think about using colored inks until you have mastered inking a matrix in monochrome inks. You may well never wish to ink in multi colors. Few of the true masters of the bromoil process ever did. Norman Gryspeerdt is a classic example!

Cheers and good luck!

Gene Laughter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi!

Thanks for all your advices. I will upload a bromoil as soon as I have made one - hopeful within a mounth. I have also read a rather good Swedish book, "Handbok i ädelförfarande" of Björn Andersson, which deals with the bromoil process and I have also seen the Gryspeerdt video. I will also buy your book!

Best regards,
    Fredrik

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin