Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,023   Online: 883

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Bromoil papers and ink

I am new to alternative processes. In a few weeks I will try Bromoil for the first time. Therefore I wonder if someone knows which papers that are suited for Bromoils, that is non supercoated papers? Is the following ink ok to use: http://www.ibwahlstrom.se/epages/IBW...w/1796?cat=145

Best regards,
    F. Skott

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    JandC have a paper suited for Bromoils (Bromoprint). I've inked a few bromoils on it and it worked well for me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Skott
    I am new to alternative processes. In a few weeks I will try Bromoil for the first time. Therefore I wonder if someone knows which papers that are suited for Bromoils, that is non supercoated papers? Is the following ink ok to use: http://www.ibwahlstrom.se/epages/IBW...w/1796?cat=145

Best regards,
    F. Skott
    That's one of the inks that I use for bromoil. I prefer supercoated papers. Many of the european bromoilists that I know and that prefer non-supercoated papers swear by Bergger Brom 240.

Cheers,

Gene

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for your answers. Gene - what is the difference between using supercoated and nonsupercoated papers? Is there any differences in handeling or in the bleach/tan baths? Do you know if Emaks K888 (my favorite paper) is ok for making bromoil prints? Do you have any recommendations for brushes for a beginner?
    Best regards, Fredrik

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm not familar with the paper you are using? Many fiber base papers will work for bromoil. I use hog hair pastry brushes which can be trimmed to a stag foot shape with sharp scissors. Many Brit bromoilsts use inexpensive hog hair shaving brushes. Maija McDougal, President of the Bromoil Circle of Great Britain, for one. A couple of supercoated papers I use: Forte Elegance graded semi matte and Illford fiberbase MG IV matte. No difference in the bleaching chemistry or routine. A longer, warmer pre inking soak is needed by some. Gene

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have had considerable success with David Lewis' bromoil paper. Another beautiful paper was the Agfa MC matte surface. My experience has been to use the non supercoated papers to start. They tend to be a little easier to use and control. Also start with a a hard ink. The soft inks take a little more practice. I use David Lewis inks and brushes. They are excellent. More expensive than Gene's suggestion, but they will last a lifetime. I sugesst visiting David's site: http://www.bromoil.com/ Many of the images in my gallery were created using his materials.
    Don Sigl
    www.drs-fineartphoto.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Skott

Best regards,
    F. Skott
    I see no reason for ordering supplies from this side of the pond when there are ample bromoil papers, inks, etc. available on your side of the Atlantic.

I would suggest that you contact David Francis, Secretary of the Bromoil Circle of Great Britain, for his suggestions of sources re: bromoil supplies. Tell David that I sent you!

dave@bromoils.freeserve.co.uk

By the way, Maija McDougal, President of the Bromoil Circle is the one that turned me onto pastry brushes and shaving brushes. She has a huge collection of vintage Sinclair bromoil brushes, but prefers shaving brushes and pastry brushes for bromoil inking. So do I! :>)

She uses ordinary oil based printers inks. I prefer lithographic inks from Graphic Supply and Ink Co. - You posted a pic of a can of black from this company.

Anyway - supplies are not a problem --- Good luck!!!

Gene

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    BTW, Fotoimpex in Germany is a source many of my Euro bromoilist friends use for non super coated bromoil paper:

http://www.fotoimpex.de/Home/engl_ph...otopapers.html

Gene

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi!

Thanks for all the tips. Now I have bought some hog hair brushes. Gene, you wrote that I should trim them to a stag foot shape with sharp scissor? I am not really sure how you mean? Is there any pictures of that kind of brushes on internet? Which size of the bushes do you use?

Does anyone know if Rohrer & Klinger Flussige Lithographie Tushe is ok for bromoils?

Regards,
    Fredrik

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    An interesting link is: http://www.gryspeerdt.co.uk/

I can recommend the Video/DVD as an informative introduction to Bromoil; almost as good as Gene's book.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin