Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,182   Online: 639

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Really nice Phil, I've decided to give alternative process a go when the kids get back to school.

Well Done.

Dusty
    The camera cannot lie, but it cannot help being selective.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by philldresser

I was expecting a much blacker image with just the Borax but there is a deep chocolate border. Admittedly its not rich but it is brown. I found the Borax for £2.17 for 750g in Boots which I thought quite reasonable.

Cheers

Phill
    Nice work.

Kallitype, especially when toned with platinum, palladium or gold, is capable of very beautiful results.

In my experience Arches Aquarelle does not give good Dmax with kallitpe, unless you give it an acid pre-soak.

For a look at my own working procedures for kallitype, see this article. http://www.alternativephotography.co...kallitype.html

Best,

Sandy
    Last edited by sanking; 08-04-2006 at 01:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    Nice work.

Kallitype, especially when toned with platinum, palladium or gold, is capable of very beautiful results.

In my experience Arches Aquarelle does not give good Dmax with kallitpe, unless you give it an acid pre-soak.

For a look at my own working procedures for kallitype, see this article. http://www.alternativephotography.co...kallitype.html

Best,

Sandy
    Sandy

I must say I have been underwhelmed by the Arches Aquarelle with the Kallitypes and the Saltprints.

You mention an acid presoak, and I assume that the size or paper base is alkaline. If so , would that have an impact on the cyanotypes as well.
    I will try a 3% citric acid pre-soak (I have a lot made up) and see if it makes a difference.

I have read your kallitype article many times and will try the sodium citrate when I can get hold of it.

Thanks to all for the comments

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Sandy

I must say I have been underwhelmed by the Arches Aquarelle with the Kallitypes and the Saltprints.

You mention an acid presoak, and I assume that the size or paper base is alkaline. If so , would that have an impact on the cyanotypes as well.
    I will try a 3% citric acid pre-soak (I have a lot made up) and see if it makes a difference.

I have read your kallitype article many times and will try the sodium citrate when I can get hold of it.

Thanks to all for the comments

Phill
    Phil,

Arches Aquarelle definitely appears to have an alkaline pH. An acid soak should improve its performance quite a bit with kallitype, or for that matter with Pt./Pd. I have not tried it with cyanotype, but all of the iron processes seem to like a slightly acidic paper.

Don't soak for too long, however, as the acid soak may break down the size, which result in a grainer, more textured look. But the size on Aquarelle is pretty tough, so maybe this won't happen.

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

2nd Kallitype session

Just completed my 2nd ever Kallitype session this evening and had some good results using the feedback from this thread. Thanks to all who have contributed - esp Sandy

I have attached the most sucsessful image as an example.

Process:

Firstly I have used a more contrasty neg, FP4 in Pyrocat-HD 2:2:100. Developed for 10 mins (SBR 7 - 8). (approx N - 1.5 estimated). Time based in Sandy Kings curve on Unblinkingeye for a 0.8 density Kallitype neg.

I used Arches Aquarelle paper as before but gave a provisional coating by foam brush of 3% citric acid to neutralise/acidify the paper. I did not apply size (gelatin) and relied on the original paper sizing. Exposure was 11 mins. Developed in 500 ml Borax with 6 drops K3Cr2O7 to increase local contrast slightly. Cleared in Ciitric acid and fixed in Ilford Fixer. The first print of this went blotchy and I narrowed this down to the fixer being to strong, so I diluted it to 1:19 and no more blotching. I am not sure if the fix is adequate but time will tell.
    I can see a feint colouration where the sensitizer is not cleared fully but I think this is an feature of the paper. I cleared for 5 mins in Citric acid which should have removed it all.

Phill
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RCCathedral1.jpg  
    Last edited by philldresser; 08-11-2006 at 08:29 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Wrong chemical!
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gosh - it looks rich and beautiful to my eye. I'd be thrilled to have made that print my second try out. Nice job!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Just completed my 2nd ever Kallitype session this evening and had some good results using the feedback from this thread. Thanks to all who have contributed - esp Sandy

Phill
    Phil,

That is a really nice print.

Congratulations.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Nice preint indeed...

seems like you're on a roll!

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well done Phil.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    That is a real cracking print Phill!

J
    ~John~
    --------------------------
    www.johnbrewerphotography.com
    There are 10 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin