Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,501   Posts: 1,543,344   Online: 877

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

My first Kallitype

I know this will be an insignificant event in all of your lives but it was a big one for me. I completed my first Kallitype last night (attached). After months of reading and lots of procrastination I finally did it. Salt prints and Kallitypes in one week. Wow.

I had more success with Kallitypes than the salt print for various reasons and I was pleased with my first print (attached). I think it came out reasonably well considering I was printing by inspection not knowing what the exposed print should look like.

Also, I was going to use one of the dev formulas listed in the Coming into Focus (Barnier) book but I can't seem to find a local supplier of Rochelle Salts. Instead I just used Borax on its own (Read this somewhere else). Seems to work quite well although colour is a little flat.

I must say that I like the process and look forward to experimenting further.

Details are
    5x4 neg, FP4
    printed on Arches Aquarelle HP,
    exposed UV lamp - 6.5 minutes
    Developed in Borax (25g in 300ml) - 2 mins
    Cleared in 3% citric acid - 2 mins
    Fixed in (old) Ilford fixer - 2 mins

My further prints started blotching(sp) which I think is a fixer issue as this is when it showed up. I am getting some plain hypo to substitute and remedy this problem.

I was expecting a much blacker image with just the Borax but there is a deep chocolate border. Admittedly its not rich but it is brown. I found the Borax for £2.17 for 750g in Boots which I thought quite reasonable.

Cheers

Phill
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shed door.jpg  
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Nice one - I think you chose a good subject for this process. I like the look of hot press papers so I might be a bit biased, but I like it. The Kallitype process has a lot of variables, but does produce nice prints. You have a lot of options for toning with this process so if you don't like the color you might look into toning options to get where you want to be.

- Randy

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Great job Phill!

Can you wear the boots when the borax is gone?
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hall
    Can you wear the boots when the borax is gone?
    Now thats funny

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    it looks fantastic on my monitor Phill - nice one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    now its time for some platinum toner !

(will take away the chocolate tone, make it neutral/colder)

kallitype is fun, well... other than needing to clean up all those trays!
    "Where is beauty? Where I must will with my whole Will; where I will love and perish, that an image may not remain merely an image."

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    A very good start Phil. I presume you used a kit as Ferric Oxalate (which I assume you used) seems difficult to obtain in UK.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Roy

I purchased my Ferric oxalate from Bostick & Sullivan in America. Took 6 days from order to me printing which is good service.

Phill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congratulations Phill, looks like a really nice first print. Agree with the above post...good choice of negative to start with. Looks like you are on your way.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Looks good to me Phill...

lots of detail and texture that the process has handled nicely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin