I know this will be an insignificant event in all of your lives but it was a big one for me. I completed my first Kallitype last night (attached). After months of reading and lots of procrastination I finally did it. Salt prints and Kallitypes in one week. Wow.
I had more success with Kallitypes than the salt print for various reasons and I was pleased with my first print (attached). I think it came out reasonably well considering I was printing by inspection not knowing what the exposed print should look like.
Also, I was going to use one of the dev formulas listed in the Coming into Focus (Barnier) book but I can't seem to find a local supplier of Rochelle Salts. Instead I just used Borax on its own (Read this somewhere else). Seems to work quite well although colour is a little flat.
I must say that I like the process and look forward to experimenting further.
5x4 neg, FP4
printed on Arches Aquarelle HP,
exposed UV lamp - 6.5 minutes
Developed in Borax (25g in 300ml) - 2 mins
Cleared in 3% citric acid - 2 mins
Fixed in (old) Ilford fixer - 2 mins
My further prints started blotching(sp) which I think is a fixer issue as this is when it showed up. I am getting some plain hypo to substitute and remedy this problem.
I was expecting a much blacker image with just the Borax but there is a deep chocolate border. Admittedly its not rich but it is brown. I found the Borax for £2.17 for 750g in Boots which I thought quite reasonable.