Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,646   Posts: 1,481,266   Online: 720

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I agree- it was a VERY Bizarre write-up. I kinda got the impression that the author wanted to be hot for him but couldn't bring herself to, so she had to trash his personality, instead of actually discussing his passion for photography and his teaching.

Shooter
    35mm
    Journalism has been dead for a while now.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner
    Journalism has been dead for a while now.
    I think that's a bit extreme, but as a long time NY Times reader I can certainly attest that outside the main news sections it has become increasingly "fluffy". The Times, like many mainstream newspapers, is desperate to stem readership declines that are most severe in younger age categories. So it tries harder and harder to be "hip" by being more and more frivilous.

And true, as noted earlier, this article was situated in the "House & Home Section" so the focus on the house and sheets and bath etc. was appropriate. The discussion of his lack of a love life and "repellant nature" though was not.

It would have been a much more interesting article for us here if it had been written by the NY Times photographer who had attended the workshop and took the tintypes!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for posting the link. I have passed it on to my students.

Although I don't appreciate the direction the reporter took in writing, I am always glad to see non-digital photography receive some press.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I think I sold Fred Conrad the Darlot lens he was using for his tintypes. I sold the guy from Star Camera one of my "brass cannons" and he was excited to tell me he was building a camera for Fred Conrad from the New York Times. Looking at the photos, I wish I'd kept it.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    And,incidentally, I too have had problems with a former girlfriend or two....

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham
    I think that's a bit extreme,
    Well ok, yeah, a little bit.

I should have said television journalism is dead and rotting, radio journalism is gasping for breath, and print journalism has a nasty chest cold that is headed to pneumonia.

Its nice to see an article on real photographic process in the mainstream. It's disgusting that it can't just be an article, that it has to be "juiced up"

At least its not about some idiot actor or singer's baby.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Guys, it's a Feature Story ! Calm down !

Probably do more for his career than a dozen articles
    the Re-Enactors Gazette.

Of course, none of US live on the margins of society !
    Mainstreamers, one and all.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Since it was the NYT, I didn't ready the article, but did really enjoy the multimedia piece. The photographer's own words and his own images.

Go back and be impressed with what can be done when multi-media is used well.
    A New Project! Transformations 02/02/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    John is one of the kindest, most respectful and dignified people I've ever met. I never heard him say anything bad about anyone and my wife and dog love him as well. I stopped reading the Times several years ago precisely because of such self promoting hacks. That being said, the crossword rocks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin