Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,699   Online: 802

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

John Coffer & Tintypes

NY Times article on John Coffer includes an audio slide show with interview & tintype pictures.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the link. I would like to attend one of his workshops some day. You don't see many people like John these days. In addition to his workshops, he also has books/DVD's available.

http://www.johncoffer.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is it just me, or was the fact of his marital misfortune and his lack of a current "affair of the heart" weirdly emphasized? The reporter seemed determined to paint a picture of him as "a man who could use an online dating service."

His workshops sound great.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sionnac
    Is it just me, or was the fact of his marital misfortune and his lack of a current "affair of the heart" weirdly emphasized? The reporter seemed determined to paint a picture of him as "a man who could use an online dating service."

Yes, unfortunately it seemed the reporter allowed her personal opinions about his lifestyle and lack of love life slant her story. Maybe she was alternately attracted to and appalled by the guy?

Nonetheless, it was nice to see an article about non-digital photography in the mainstream press! Even if it is in the same issue of the NY Times that is carrying this story!

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/03/te...ref=technology

Oh well, you win some and lose some.....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sionnac

I took a workshop from John Coffer over Memorial Day weekend and was also at his farm for his 6th Annual Tintype Jamboree last weekend. In all that time I never heard him speak ill of his ex-wife or first assistant. I think the author of the article presented a very skewed view of John. John's lifestyle certainly is far from mainstream and his responses to things can be a bit unusual (e.g., he seemed almost to experience a childlike excitement one evening as someone hit the nearby town of Watkins Glen to return with a huge pizza for the evening meal around the campfire one night during the workshop), but he also seemed quite reverent and respectful. He is very independent and resourceful, well-respected in the wetplate community, really knows his stuff, and is certainly walkin' the talk.

The recent Jamboree was a lot of fun although it was a rainy muddy mess on the farm. It was referred to by a fellow wetplater as being the "Woodstock of Jamborees" on another forum. (That must have been the reason I arrived wearing my "Jefferson Airplane Loves You" t-shirt.) I met a lot of great folks there and everyone appreciated John's hospitality. It was fascinating watching him pour and process a 20x24 glass negative as well as a 20x24 tintype. He's da man.

Joe

Shooter
    Large Format
    The only excuse for NY Times article is they did place it under "Home & Garden" section. The audio slide show was much better, though. Thanks for the JohnCoffer.com link, need to order a DVD and plan on another process to learn;-)
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just read that article and must say that it was one of the worst pieces of journalism (and I use that phrase loosely) I've ever read. Was this supposed to be an editorial about "wild men" and how they can't find women?
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Agreed, it seems as if she was too wrapped up with the 'mountain man' focus, rather than focusing on the photographer. Afterall, what discussion about a man's sheets belongs in an article about a photographer ?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Lame-ass journalism at it's worst. Seemed like she was holding her nose the whole time.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I knew the article was heading down a strange subtextual highway when she mentioned the smoky smell of his surroundings and his person in the first couple of paragraphs. Interesting article if you ignore the unsubtle, judgmental stuff that the reporter sprinkled liberally throughout the piece.
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.

http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin