Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,523,994   Online: 829

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Keeping Properties of silver nitrate in solution

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows how long a 10% silver solution (in this case for kallitypes) keeps. It was mixed with distilled water, and has been stored in a 200 ml dark amber bottle in a dark corner of my basement. I would say that it is 2 or three years old. It is perfectly clear and seems to work well. Is there a point at which it should be discarded or will it keep indefinitely?

Thanks,
    Paul

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    It lasts about forever. As always, give the chems a try. If you have issues, try some newer chems.

I have found that much of what we buy from the chem dealers has been sitting around for quite some time already.

I just printed a couple platinum prints last night with the ferric oxalate which is about 18 months old. Worked just fine. Why throw it away unless you can't get it to work?

Good luck!!
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks. That was my guess, but I am glad to have it confirmed.

-Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hall
    It lasts about forever. As always, give the chems a try. If you have issues, try some newer chems.

I have found that much of what we buy from the chem dealers has been sitting around for quite some time already.

I just printed a couple platinum prints last night with the ferric oxalate which is about 18 months old. Worked just fine. Why throw it away unless you can't get it to work?

Good luck!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the solution is clear and has not produced a black precipitate of metallic silver then I should be OK. Avoid exposing the solution to bright light and contact with reducing agents such as organic material.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It is common in wetplate collodion to "sun" the silver bath to remove organic impurities (and ether & alcohol) which make their way into the solution during normal use. After filtering this stuff out, the sensitizing baths are again good to go. So, even if your solution gets a bit contaminated I suspect you can extend its life almost indefinitely.

I've also added a teaspoon of kaolin to a dirty bath, shook it up and let the gunk settle out dragged down by the kaolin, and then after siphoning (with a siphon pump, not by mouth which is dangerous with this chemical) ended up with a perfectly clear usable solution of it again.

I've also reconstituted silver nitrate crystals that had to be at least 90-100 years old.

Joe
    Last edited by smieglitz; 08-08-2006 at 08:16 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've seen several references to the use of kaolin in photography - what's your source? Will the plain, unscented kitty litter do?
    juan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by juan
    I've seen several references to the use of kaolin in photography - what's your source? Will the plain, unscented kitty litter do?
    juan
    The stuff I use is a very pure, fine powdered kaolin (also referred to as "China Clay" I believe). I acquired mine from a ceramicist. I wouldn't think kitty litter would work for this purpose because of its physical size apart from any chemical impurities.

Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The other place you can buy is at a beauty store where they sell organic cosmetic stuffs.

I think I bought it on ebay.

Warmly,
    Tsuyoshi

Quote Originally Posted by juan
    juan
    ----- P R O J E C T B A S H O -----
    Re-introducing Photography to Philadelphia
    Summer '11 Photography Workshops

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin