Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,086   Online: 905

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Seeing that your shooting a 6x7 neg, I would go with slides for lower processing cost. If money is available, a scanner can be nice to have. For b&w I purposefully choose Ziatypes because of simplicity and variability in printing. At 6x7 tho I would pass up contact processes. Small can be nice, but it's an acquired taste that does not necessairly exploit the potentials of a larger neg. Enlarged negs are another matter that requires a persons investigation as to the different process's and equipment needed to produce a good print. There are tradeoff's from a monetary/equipment/quality perspective.

Sometimes hitting a wall requires right angle thinking. Be creative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wauv, Thanks to all of you for your great advise.
    I havn't thought of the POP and I have only seen it mentioned (by a certain Roger Hicks in B&Wmag I think ). I like to know more about the process.
    Roger, I have seen your Darkroom tent ( I visit your site regularly) But We havn't got the space for it. You mention Paterson tanks. Do you mean the regular for 35mm and MF film ? Somehow I like the idea of getting a 5x7 but LF camera are rare and expensive in DK so I would have to order one from abroad so which is the best source ? And it has to be cheap too (100 - 200$)
    My former makeshift darkroom (bathroom) still blacks out to a usefull degree so I can use it for shorter periods of time.
    Again thanks for your suggestion. I will look into them and learn more.
    Cheers Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We're on the tail end of a couple of years without a darkroom. During that interval, we shot b&w and loaded our reels in a changing bag, processed in Diafine (no exact timing or temperature control needed, and could reuse the same chemistry for six months or so) at the kitchen sink, then scanned the negs or got them printed by a lab.

WHen we shot 4x5, we also printed with POP, exposing the prints in daylight, setting the contact printing frame on the trunk of our car in the driveway.

A friend of ours who has never used a darkroom was so impressed by the ease of the setup that he'll shortly be doing the same thing.

-KwM-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    How about alternative process? Shoot 5x7 or 8x10 to get a decent sized neg; process in a Paterson tank (load and process using a changing bag); then PoP or Argyrotype or whatever other alternative process you fancy.

Or consider a Nova tent darkroom. There's a picture of one in the free 'Our Darkrooms' module in the Photo School at www.rogerandfrances.com. Just 42 inches/110cm square. Have you a garage? Put it in the corner...

Cheers,

Roger
    Hi Roger,

I have a similar problem, have a 5x7 and will soon be needing to deveop film.

Do Paterson tanks come in large sizes? My local stores only have 35mm & 120 size?

Regards

Brendan
    [FONT=Ariel]Brendan F Sforcina[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Magpie: adj, of or like a magpie; characterized by the habit of hoarding ascribed to magpies.[/FONT]

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Soeren and Brendan,

What you need is a Paterson Orbital tank, which is a sort of covered, light-trapped 8x10 tray with 'golf tee' dividers to cut it down to 5x7 (two up, two dividers) or 4x5 (four up, four dividers). They are (I think) out of production, but sufficiently recently that you should be able to find 'new, old stock' in some shops. Otherwise it's either camera shows or (makes sign of cross) Fleabay.

Ideally, roughen the base either by 'kissing' it with a Dremel engraver (my way) or dabs of glue. This stops the film sticking to it and means you don't have to clear it afterwards (see also BTZS tubes). With 4x5 and even 5x7/13x18/half plate the film should skate about but with 8x10 there is a risk of uneven development if you use the motor base. With manual agitation it shouldn't be a problem.

I'll try to post a couple of pics on this thread, maybe tomorrow (it's scanning and getting around to it) but I'll also try to do a free 'how do I..? thread in the photo school at www.rogerandfrances.com. It'll take a day or two to write it; a week to mail the CD to Karl (the webmaster) in California; and a week or more for him to put the module up. But there's more and more on that site...

Cheers,

Roger

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    5x7" cameras may be rare and expensive in Denmark, but I find they're surprisingly cheap and common both in Norway, Sweden and Germany. Well - most of them are 13x18cm, but that rarely makes much difference.

At the moment I only have two of them, but a shop in Bergen had five of different vintages last time I visited. Don't be afraid of "antiques" - the old German "Reisekamera" are sturdy and generally very well made. Put a decent lens in a good shutter on one of them, and it's good enough for 99% of all possible situations. More in Denmark, since your landscapes tend to be somewhat flatter than I'm used to!

I develop my films in trays (needs a darkroom or at least a dark room) or Jobo drums. The 28xx paper drums are fine for sheet film development, with a CP-something you can even do colour films. I do E6 in 13x18 in a 2830 drum on a CPE-2.

POP is a fun process too. If you look at www.retrophotographic.com under POP, you will find one of my prints there as an example. That was shot on 5x7" FP4+, developed in a JOBO 2830 tank, and printed on a sunny day.

Roger, I've done up to 30x40cm films in JOBO paper drums. Tip the drum one in a while to slosh the developer around a bit, and development is quite even. I manage to get rid of all of the anti-halation backing as well - there's sometimes a little bit left after fixing, but that disappears in the wash.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dear Ole, Roger and KwM
    Thanks for your advise. I think I am now looking for a cheap 5X7. Does anyone know a good place/source/seller (apart from Ebay)
    Those Orbital tanks, aren't they rather big ?
    I did consider the CPXX processors but I am really on a low budget and space is limited so color processing is not quite an option right now. Perhaps sometime in the future
    Cheers Søren

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Soeren,

An Orbital tank is at most 25 x 30cm and maybe 10cm deep (with the light-trapped lid on). At camera fairs in the UK they go for £2 to £20, say 3 to 30 euros.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Pics of Paterson Orbital attached (I hope). Today I've done a module on Orbitals for the 'How Do I...? thread in the Photo School at www.rogerandfrances.com and I hope Karl can have it on the web in a month or so.

The open one has one sheet of 5x7 and one of 4x5 in it; there is room for another sheet of 4x5, obviously.

Cheers,

Roger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Orbital open.JPG   Orbital on base.JPG  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dear Roger
    Ahh thats the Paterson Orbital. Now things come together
    It Dosn't look that big. What is it standing on ? is it part of it ?
    Hmm Not good, GAS/MBC is striking again Should I place a wanted ad for a 5X7 eg the Kodak here on APUG ?
    Cheers
    Søren

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin