Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,516   Posts: 1,543,739   Online: 878

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Ascorbic acid - for what can I use it?

How stupid can I get? I ordered chemicals for salt prints, and for some unknown reason I fumbled and bought Pro-Analysi grade Ascorbic Acid instead of Citric Acid...

I suppose Vitamin C does nothing for salt prints - so, any good ideas for use of the ascorbic acid?
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerevan
    How stupid can I get? I ordered chemicals for salt prints, and for some unknown reason I fumbled and bought Pro-Analysi grade Ascorbic Acid instead of Citric Acid...

I suppose Vitamin C does nothing for salt prints - so, any good ideas for use of the ascorbic acid?

Aren't they the same thing?

http://www.anyvitamins.com/vitamin-c...cacid-info.htm

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you have no use for it in a developer then take a 1/4 teaspoon a day until it is all gone.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Actually, it's me who's being stupid now! I misread your post and thought you said you ordered ascorbic acid instead of vitamin C, not citric acid.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Large Format
    You can use Ascorbic Acid for any recipe that calls for Sodium Ascorbate. My favorite is Mytol, a great Xtol substitute.

Replace 1g Ascorbic Acid with 1.1248g of Sodium Ascorbate, or 1g Sodium Ascorbate with 0.8890g Ascorbic Acid.

http://www.jackspcs.com/mytol.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    You can use ascorbic acid or sodium ascorbate in a wide variety of conventional B&W film and paper developers, including Mytol, E-76, PC-Glycol, PC-TEA, DS-10, and DS-12 for film; and E-72, DS-14, and DS-15 for paper. There are more such developers, too, if you do some digging. In a pinch, you can use sodium ascorbate as a substitute for hydroquinone in many developers that use hydroquinone. I don't recall the exact substitution ratio offhand, though, and the two substances aren't exact workalikes. They are both superadditive with both phenidone and metol, though. To get sodium ascorbate from ascorbic acid, put 89.0g ascorbic acid in water then add 42.4g sodium bicarbonate until fizzing subsides for every 100g of sodium ascorbate you need. (Scale appropriately for your formula.)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thank you for your advice, ladies and gents! I have to do some digging on the chemical recipes given and if nothing seems doable, I'll take a 1/4 tsp a day and hope it'll clear any further chemistry confusions of mine, in the future.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Doesn't it cure rickets?
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It seems rickets is caused by vitamin D deficiency, but any sea pirate knows that ascorbic acid at least cures scurvy! See below.

"When there is a shortage of VITAMIN C, various problems can arise, although scurvy is the only disease clinically treated with vitamin C. However, a shortage of vitamin C may result in "pinpoint" hemorrhages under the skin and a tendency to bruise easily, poor wound healing, soft and spongy bleeding gums and loose teeth.

Edema (water retention) also happens with a shortage of vitamin C, and weakness, a lack of energy, poor digestion, painful joints and bronchial infection and colds are also indicative of an under-supply."

Just so you know when to take your teaspoons...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hall
    Doesn't it cure rickets?
    It prevents scurvy.

IIRC, rickets results from a vitamin D deficiency.

EDIT: beaten to the punch!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin