Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,932   Online: 1190
      
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27
  1. #11
    TheFlyingCamera's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Washington DC
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    8,242
    Blog Entries
    51
    Images
    435
    As Comrade Gorbachev put it, "Doveriyai, no Proveriyai". Trust, but Verify.

    You know that in Russian, the word for Peace and the word for World are the same... Mir. So, when Gorbachev says, "I want peace", he's really saying, " I want the world!". -
    Ronald Reagan era joke.

  2. #12
    Kerik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    California
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    1,465
    Images
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by cperez
    Well... I did pick the paper up from the drawer marked Arches Platine. And there was a nice little note on the badget that said this was specifically for Pt/Pd work. This, even though it was at a local art supply store.

    It looks like I'd better check what I really have. I wonder if they loaded up the wrong paper into the drawer? Something about believe, but verify???
    If you bought full sheets (22x30) there will be a watermark in the corner that says Arches Platine. Platine should not need a pre-soak to work well. But, that paper has been inconsistent over the years.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

  3. #13
    billschwab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Meeshagin
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,747
    Images
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by cperez
    Pre-soak in oxalic acid? Or distilled water?
    That would be in a 1% oxalic acid solution. Weigh out 1 gram per 100 milliliters of water... distilled is preferable. Soak the paper for 5-10 minutes, dry and let hydrate a bit and then coat. If you use the Cranes, you will not have to acid treat. Acid treating is for papers that have a base buffer to make it "acid free". Due to the fact that the process is a slightly acidic one, the acid free papers need to be treated to get the best results.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerik
    Platine should not need a pre-soak to work well. But, that paper has been inconsistent over the years.
    The recent batch of Platine I had did benefit from a pre-soak. I was surprised as I had heard it did not require treatment.

    Bill

  4. #14
    Ray Bidegain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    94
    Images
    6
    Hi Chris:

    I am thinking the paper you bought from Art media is not the Arches Platine, I was in there not long after you, and did not see any of the platine. You can get if from Daniel Smith on line. The Arches Platine should work fine with out any pre soak hoop jumping. The cranes platinotype from B&S has always been my mainstay but the batch from the spring was really bad and I am not sure they have re stocked yet. I have some of both and maybe we can find a time so I can give you a few sheets.

    Best,

    Ray Bidegain

  5. #15
    RobertP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Posts
    1,130
    Images
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bidegain
    Hi Chris:

    I am thinking the paper you bought from Art media is not the Arches Platine, I was in there not long after you, and did not see any of the platine. You can get if from Daniel Smith on line. The Arches Platine should work fine with out any pre soak hoop jumping. The cranes platinotype from B&S has always been my mainstay but the batch from the spring was really bad and I am not sure they have re stocked yet. I have some of both and maybe we can find a time so I can give you a few sheets.

    Best,

    Ray Bidegain
    Ray, Yes the last batch of p-type I ordered was full of the black plague. It almost cost me a show as I was printing the last prints when I broke the new batch open. Good thing I had some old Opaline that I finished printing the show with but that meant using a paper I hadn't used before as I had just bought a batch of Opaline from a printer who no longer was printing. As much as I liked the tone of platinotype in my opinion there are a lot of better papers out there that I can use and not have to worry about the black plague.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,576
    Images
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by cperez
    Well... I did pick the paper up from the drawer marked Arches Platine. And there was a nice little note on the badget that said this was specifically for Pt/Pd work. This, even though it was at a local art supply store.

    It looks like I'd better check what I really have. I wonder if they loaded up the wrong paper into the drawer? Something about believe, but verify???
    I feel your pain here...the local Art Supply I have to access to, is the same way. Lots of paper, in and out of drawers..some labeled, some not and most not what it says it is. Once thought I had gotten luck and found some Fabriono Uno, but it turned out to be Artistico (not a bad thing after all) but was hoping I have found a small cache of Uno. As Kerik suggested, if large sheets, most will have a watermark to identify the paper type.

    To avoid this, latest paper order came from Bostick and Sullivan for some COT320, Talas for Arches Platine and Jerry's Artarama for the Fabriono Artistico Extra White (Had picked up some Cranes Platinotype from B&S earlier). It's always
    Mike C

    Rambles

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    105
    Taking a look at the watermark and pressed bas relief lettering on the corner, all my sheets say "Aquarelle Arches". The watermark just says "Arches France" followed by an infinity symbol.

    Looks like I struck out.

    I'll try some of the resources mentioned. Since Ray replied that he prefers Cranes, I think that's what I'll be looking for.

    Again, thanks for everyone's comments and pointers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kerik
    If you bought full sheets (22x30) there will be a watermark in the corner that says Arches Platine. Platine should not need a pre-soak to work well. But, that paper has been inconsistent over the years.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    1
    Hello, it sounds like you solved your problem, but I wanted to give my two cents:

    I'm sure this sounds sacraligious, but I find that graininess and poor depth in color can result in over wetting the brush prior to coating. It really depends on the type of brush you are using, as to wheather or not to use this method.

    Also, Pre-soaking Platine can have adverse effects, as it changes the surface quality of the paper, which is speciffically designed to hold on to the pt/pd in the best possible way. But as the previous poster stated, that paper has had it's weird moments in history.

    Happy Printing!

  9. #19
    Kerik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    California
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    1,465
    Images
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by cperez View Post
    I'll try some of the resources mentioned. Since Ray replied that he prefers Cranes, I think that's what I'll be looking for.
    With all due respect to Ray, Platinotype would be on the bottom of my list. I'd recommend any of the following over P-type (in no particular order):

    COT 320
    Arches Platine (the real thing)
    Fabriano Artistico Extra White 140 lb hot press (pre-treat w/ 2% oxalic acid for 10-15 minutes)
    Rives BFK White 280 gsm or 175 gsm weight
    Rising Stonehenge in White or Natural
    Strathmore Imperial Watercolor
    Clearprint Drafting Vellum
    Cranes Kid Finish

    and so on...
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

  10. #20
    Jim Noel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    1,817
    Blog Entries
    1
    I spoke with Kevin at B&S last week. He informed me that they have continuing problems with p-type and are not shipping it at this time. Too bad, for I like this paper but I had him ship me some COT 320.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin