Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,532   Online: 1044

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    I spoke with Kevin at B&S last week. He informed me that they have continuing problems with p-type and are not shipping it at this time. Too bad, for I like this paper but I had him ship me some COT 320.
    The platinotype is full of black plague.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Trust me, you'll LOVE the COT 320. It coats so easily, and it is very thrifty on the drop count too... I'm getting 6 drops of #1 and 6 of Palladium for a 5x7, and 13 each for an 8x10.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    second the cot 320. i've been coating 11x14 with 14 Pd and 7 Pt, using the 'magic brush'. great dmax as well

Shooter
    Large Format
    I appreciate the continued commentary and guidance.

With Ray's and Patrick's help I was able to get a few test sheets of Crane's.

While my coating technique needs improvement, I'm getting better results.

I also realized the wisdom of using a contact print frame. My old contact print clamshell simply did not put enough pressure on the neg/paper sandwich. The wavey paper left a few "out of focus" areas on the prints.

Live. Learn. Repeat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With cot 320 I have always good and consistents results. I had try arches platine but no good results for me, to much flocculation problems.

Shooter
    Large Format
    OK. Now that I'm beyond my initial challenge, what coating techniques most influence DMax?

What influence does the moisture content of the paper have on DMax?

If my work area is running between 55% and 70% humidity, do I need to "humidify" the paper?

If I wanted to increase the resolution of an image by including a very small amount of Platinum, can I take a 5ml bottle of 20% Pt and dilute it to 10% Pt and achieve the desired effect? Or do I need to stick with 20% salt solutions of metal?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'll just answer the humidity question -
    if your humidity is already in the 55-70% range, there is nothing additional you need to do to humidify the paper, as long as you are storing your paper in those conditions between printing sessions.

If your paper is too dry, the emulsion will become very slow, you will lose dmax, and you will likely have flocculation in the borders and in continuous tone areas. When printing, if you see significant flocculation in the border areas outside your negative before development, this is a sign that your paper may be too dry. Either that or your lights are running too hot and they are cooking the paper.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin