Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,852   Posts: 1,582,888   Online: 967

Shooter
    35mm RF

Old silver nitrate

I have old silver nitrate. The color is now like brown sugar. Is it still usable for making Salt paper?

Thank you

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    I have a fair amount of old silver nitrate but none of it looks like brown sugar. Sounds as though there may have been some impurities in it.

Wheteher it will work for salt prints, I couldn't say, but if I were you you I would purchase some fresh silver nitrate and use it instead.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Old silver nitrate usually takes on a grayish color due to light exposure. The best answer is to give it a try and see what happens.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Gerald is correct - don't throw it away until you try it.
    Mix up a small amount of 12-15%. Use equal amounts of ferric oxalate and coat a small piece of paper. With or without a negaitve, you will know in a couple of minutes in the sun whether or not the silver nitrate is still active. It wil begin to change color very rapidly and be basically brown in two minutes.

I have silver nitrate crystals well ove 30 years old which are still in good condition. Give it a try.
    JIM
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin