Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,914   Posts: 1,584,710   Online: 792

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

I got a set of Autochrome plates today!!

My set of two 4"x5" Autochrome plates arrived in the mail today. I washed the emulsion off of one of them, to see the starch mask. The first thing that struck me was how easily the emulsion washed off of the plate; with some warm water and rubbing, it detached very easily.

So anyway, the screen plate is very interesting. It has a very easily visible random set of grains, and has a reddish-purple-gray look to it; it is NOT quite neutral. The plate almost looks like it was done on an inkjet printer; it is perfectly smooth, though vertical lines are visible on it.

The plate is translucent; it is quite far from transparent, so that answers one of my questions.

I'm going to try to coat it with some liquid emulsion; I know that this isn't going to give great results (no red), but we'll see.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan

autochrome plates

Hi,

Did you find a couple of old, original plates? Or is there somewhere to buy new ones?

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They are [very] old and quite original!

Unfortunately, they're exposed :-(

Shooter
    Multi Format
    wow this is fascinating...

I wonder what kind of results you could get using a mask made just using ektachrome...or printing a transparency out from your computer...might be easier than starch grains...

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In those days systems with separate grid masks had been developed. However the integrated grid mask systems (Lumiere, Agfa and Polaroid) were more versatile.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks...I'm just trying to think of a way to experiment that's not tooo much of a pain for a basement tinkerer like me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Look up Jolly or Dufay Color; it used a RGB reseau (matrix) printed on clear base by a greasy-resist method.

You might be able to recreate the reseau with clear mylar and a very high resolution dot matrix printer, but that is pure speculation on my part...

In any event, here are some good resources; http://www.infography.com/content/112904364761.html

Also, the best reference I ever found on Dufay was the 1936 edition of "Colour Cinematography"

Be prepared to say "OUCH" when purchasing...

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes DarkroomExperimente, I just threw in a historic remark.

But keep in mind that those grids are really miniature. Recently I held a separate grid screen in hand (about 6x9 cm, Finlay I guess). With the unaided eye just a very,very faint rose tint was to see. I had to look at the cutting edge to realize the tint was caused by some sort of varnish. Even with the aid of a loupe I took me a lot of strain to see a, regular, grid structure, only then realizing what I held in hand!
    One figure I got on a different grid screen is 1,800 grid-points per mm²...
    Last edited by AgX; 12-16-2007 at 06:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    that's amazing

after making developers from plants from the garden, it somehow seems appropriate that I should try to work with potato-based color film...doesn't seem easy, but it's tempting

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't forget the edible lens...

And when bying film we should no longer ask for speed but for taste.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin