Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,137   Online: 865

Shooter
    35mm

Oil Paints on Liquid Emulsions ?

I was thinking today it might be fun to try some oil paints on top of an exposed b&w liquid emulsion on watercolor papers.

The idea is to coat the watercolor paper with Gesso (a type of acrylic base paint), then coat it with a b&w liquid emulsion and expose the picture. The reason for the layer of Gesso is to protect the paper from the oil paints applied later. After processing it in the darkroom, let it dry, then presumably I’d be free to paint on top of this with oil paints.

Has anyone else tried this or foresee any problems with archival stability or processing?

Regards,
    Martin

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have seen 20+ year old prints like this with no problems. Google Richard Prehn or Zxorb and look at his work. Some is Marshal oil, some is oil paint.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    35mm
    Have you considered adding pigment directly to your liquid emulsion before or after applying it to the paper? I know that this would be a completely different effect.

There was in Photo Tech magazine several years back an article on using acryllic paints in a silk screen type of process...if I remember correctly which is lees than likely.. and using manual scrubbing to remove selectively paint and multiple applications to achieve multi-colored effects that were quite graphic.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've painted with traditional artist's oils on fiber and on RC prints. I found it quite useful to lay down a thin layer of medium first and the paint into it. This gave me more freedom to clean up edges and work the surface without abrading the emulsion. Lots of fun!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin