Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,920   Posts: 1,556,559   Online: 1301

Images

Black Light White??

I could not find this in the archives. I went to buy my bulbs this morning from the site recomended by folks here and ran into something I did not understand.

I know the difference between BL and BLB but what is BL white? Is there just no funky coloring on the bulb?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Mark I don t know if this helps but the Fluorescent lamps in my UV light box are labeled F20!12 BL and under that the words Black Light....the lights look like a regular white fluorscent light (tube light 24 ") they are 20 watt lights General Electric. They came with my UV light box made by Bud Wilson at Photographer's Formulary.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Mark, this is correct..BL bulbs (at least the ones I have seen) are white and look like regular bulbs. The BLB bulb (think it stands for Black Light Blue) are the cool purple/blue ones.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Tubes designated "BL" appear white when turned off. They print slightly faster than the "BLB" which are the same with a purplish-blue coating.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most phosphors appear white in ordinary light. When the fluorescent lamp is turned on, mercury in the lamp emits UV radiation that causes the phosphor to emit its characteristic color. In the case of the BL phosphor, the tube emits a wide band of color peaking in the near UV area where alternative emulsions are most sensitive. The BLB lamps have a purple filter to cut out most of the visible light from the BL phosphor, but that light is useful for photography, so the BL lamps are better for our uses.

Images
    thanks folks. Things make sense now.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quick question: Are the BL tubes the ones they use in those insectorcutor thingys? Just before a buy a cart load.

Cheers

Geoff

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin