Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,431   Online: 1021

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Well, I remind you again of the lawsuit over the use of glutaraldehyde which is pending in Australia. There was a lengthy thread on this subject over on Photo Net about a year ago.

In fact, X-Ray film processing was revised (IIRC) to remove the glutaraldehyde over this very suit. The fumes are not immediately annoying as are those of formalin, but they are quite bad over the long haul, from what I understand.

I don't like the odor of Glutaraldehyde or Succinaldehyde not to mention Formaldehyde. Glyoxal works for me and the odor is not objectionable when I have a whole room full of coatings hanging up to dry. And, the material is hard within 2 - 4 hours.

I have had some hardeners set the gelatin in the can before I can begin coating. Glyoxal does not do this unless the pH goes too high.

I remind you of another hardener that is not often mentioned. That is mucochloric acid. I have used that a lot, but not recently.

PE
    I'm not using glut everyday, only very infrequently under the conditions noted. Frankly I could care less about the law suit.

The pH of the glut I use is about 2.5
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga View Post
    I'm not using glut everyday, only very infrequently under the conditions noted. Frankly I could care less about the law suit.

The pH of the glut I use is about 2.5
    Don, I meant the final pH of the melted chemistry you are about to add the hardener to. Sorry.

PE

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin