Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,978   Posts: 1,523,691   Online: 1121

Shooter
    35mm

Looking to Assist Wet Plate Photographer

Dear Everybody,

I was told by a wet plate photographer out west, Elizabeth Merfeld, that I should post in this forum in regards to the following. I am a recent college graduate and now that I've recovered (enough, atleast) from some intense back surgery, it's come that time for me to plot my next move. Although I've never created or aided in the development of any wet plate collodion work, I'm strangely attracted to such and even collect tintypes I find and can afford. There's a depth I cannot explain and the fact that each is one of a kind makes them almost magical. I feel drawn to this process and have for some time.

I was thinking that if I found a photographer who did this and had a successful business doing so, he may have room to bring on an assistant/apprentice. And whith more and more young people turning away from the traditional and antiquarian processses and towards that of digital, it must be hard to find assistants.

And that brings me to this, are any of you wet plate photographers in need of an assistant? I am a hardworker and always eager to learn and expand my photography/art knowledge. I would prefer it if you lived within the vicinity of New York City, seeing that I'm currently located in Hoboken, NJ. Although, I haven't completely abandoned the idea of relocating. If you are interested, my resume can be found with my contact information at WWW.JPCORRIII.COM. Even if you are not in need of an assistant, but you know someone who is, would you mind passing on this information?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read all of this. I hope all's well with the lot of you, and am eagerly waiting your replys.

Sincerely,
    J.P. Corr III (WWW.JPCORRIII.COM)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG. I'm a fellow Hobokenite myself, and do medium and large format as a hobby, but not wetplate.

I'm not aware of any professsionals doing wetplate locally, but there have been numerous workshops out in NJ. See:

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthrea...etplate+jersey

Star Camera ( http://www.geocities.com/starcameracompany/ ) is also in NJ and makes wetplate cameras, so they might have some good leads for you.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by J.P.III View Post
    Dear Everybody,

I was told by a wet plate photographer out west, Elizabeth Merfeld, that I should post in this forum in regards to the following. I am a recent college graduate and now that I've recovered (enough, atleast) from some intense back surgery, it's come that time for me to plot my next move. Although I've never created or aided in the development of any wet plate collodion work, I'm strangely attracted to such and even collect tintypes I find and can afford. There's a depth I cannot explain and the fact that each is one of a kind makes them almost magical. I feel drawn to this process and have for some time.

I was thinking that if I found a photographer who did this and had a successful business doing so, he may have room to bring on an assistant/apprentice. And whith more and more young people turning away from the traditional and antiquarian processses and towards that of digital, it must be hard to find assistants.

And that brings me to this, are any of you wet plate photographers in need of an assistant? I am a hardworker and always eager to learn and expand my photography/art knowledge. I would prefer it if you lived within the vicinity of New York City, seeing that I'm currently located in Hoboken, NJ. Although, I haven't completely abandoned the idea of relocating. If you are interested, my resume can be found with my contact information at WWW.JPCORRIII.COM. Even if you are not in need of an assistant, but you know someone who is, would you mind passing on this information?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read all of this. I hope all's well with the lot of you, and am eagerly waiting your replys.

Sincerely,
    J.P. Corr III (WWW.JPCORRIII.COM)
    I don't know if he needs an assistant, but in New York City there is Eric Taubman. You can contact him through CFAAHP (the Center For Antique And Historic Processes) at www.cfaahp.org . If he doesn't, he might know someone else who does.

Shooter
    35mm
    A good point was brought up in another forum, that it may seem by my original post that I'm looking for someone who's strictly a wet-plate photographer. Truth be told, I am not neccesarily looking to assist
    someone who does only wet-plate work, just someone who does do it
    and can teach me. In fact, I'd love to be an assistant for a portraiturist or
    a commercial photographer. I would love to learn the business side to all
    of this as well, for I hope to have a business one day where I do
    portraiture and incorporate the wet plate process upon request.

I am glad it was brought up though, it's good for anyone seeking an
    assistant to know.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    I don't know if he needs an assistant, but in New York City there is Eric Taubman.
    Thank you very much! I'll be sure to add him to my list

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    Welcome to APUG. I'm a fellow Hobokenite myself, and do medium and large format as a hobby, but not wetplate.

I'm not aware of any professsionals doing wetplate locally, but there have been numerous workshops out in NJ. See:

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthrea...etplate+jersey

Star Camera ( http://www.geocities.com/starcameracompany/ ) is also in NJ and makes wetplate cameras, so they might have some good leads for you.
    Thanks for the information, Terence. I will keep all of this in mind in case I cannot find a wet-plate photographer to assist for. I do not have the funds for a workshop right now, but I can always take it further down the road, if need be.

Thanks again though! Ha. In fact, what kind of work do you do with photography? Are you by any chance looking for an assistant? Even though it's not wet-plate, it's always good to be in the photography atmosphere. Do you have a business as a photographer?

- J.P. Corr III

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    George Eastman House in Rochester NY, as well as RIT here have a grant for the preservation of alternative photography. One of the GEH instructors is an accomplished wet plate photographer and gives private instruction.

You might consider contacting him.

Please PM me if interested.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin