Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,046   Online: 766

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    What salt do you use? If it's standard table salt, go check the ingredients. Salt isn't always sodium chloride alone. Some kind of anti-caking is often used, and this may be detrimental to printing.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi. This is the process I use:

1: mix high grade sod chloride, sod citrate and gelatine. Immerse for 30 sec with constant agitation. Air dry.

2: Coat 12% silver nitrate in safe light. Air dry. :- paper fogs.

I think the problem lies in either the salt mix is not using distilled water and the silver is reacting with a salt/mineral in the water, the lack of citric acid, or the papers I use are buffered with chalk which reacts with the silver.

Personally, I think the problem is with the recipe. I need citric acid with the silver and I will use distilled water for the salt solution. It will be a week or so until I can try this again and will update the thread accordingly. The recipe I am using is in the Beyond Monochrome book, BTW.

Thank you all for your replies.

Geoff

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The chalk (or possibly some other detrimental component) in the paper could be the culprit. Another possible idea is if you use a brush with a metal ferrule, which could react with the solution.

Try Ruscombes Buxton (or the gelatin-sized Talbot) papers, if nothing helps. They should be available from:

John Purcell
    15 Rumsey Road, London, SW9 OTR
    Tel: +44 (0)20 - 7737 5199
    Fax: +44 (0)20 - 7737 6765

according to the www.alternativephotography.com site. Otherwise it can be ordered directly from Ruscombe Mills.

Let us know how it works out in the end.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gwatson View Post
    Hi. This is the process I use:

1: mix high grade sod chloride, sod citrate and gelatine. Immerse for 30 sec with constant agitation. Air dry.

I need citric acid with the silver and I will use distilled water for the salt solution.

Thank you all for your replies.

Geoff
    I have just noted that you write "imerse": don't do that, float! Immersing used to create problems for me, though I don't remember whether fogging was among them.

I don't remember whether distilled water is necessary for the salting solution. It should not lead to fogging, though: when the silver nitrate comes into contact with tab water it forms silver chloride (I think I remember) which you see as the ater turning milky in the wash after exposure.

But citric in the silver solution is certainly advisable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin