Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,523,988   Online: 831

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Glass Cutter for Cutting Glass Plates

I'm going to embarking into the world of glass plates soon and since I've got a bunch of extra glass in the closet (if it's the right thickness) I'm looking at getting a glass cutter. Any suggestions? I've got about 15 sheets of glass from 16x20 to 20x24 that were given to me as they are chipped on the edges.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jeremy,

I use a pencil type oil bath cutter with a tungsten carbide wheel in it, they are the best I have found for cutting glass, and believe you me, I have tried a ton of them, I wear one of these out about every three months, I just ordered 6 of them, which was more than I needed, I would be happy to sell a couple of them if you want.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you have a Logan mat cutter, they make a glass cutter attachment.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    jason,

i go to a glass company.
    they will do it quickly and ( at least around here ) cheeply ..

john
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey Jeremy,

Just come up to Montana, and I can wip them out for you with no problem at all!

Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Jeremy,

I use one like this and it works great.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerik View Post
    Jeremy,

I'd second Kerik's suggestion and might also recommended a "Morton Surface" or/or jig (http://www.sunshineglass.com/rcol/c-tools/morton.htm) if you are going to be cutting a lot of glass. I plan to acquire one of these surfaces for cutting my wetplate stock. It really helps contain the chips and allows for even pressure when cutting the glass. If you get a small chip underneath the plate and it will break curved. The glass I'm cutting costs $15/square foot so the jig will pay for itself almost immediately.

Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Joe,

What type of glass are you buying that is $15 a square, I would be interested..

Thanks

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerik View Post
    Jeremy,

Kerik

That is the same type I use, I just use the pencil style instead of the pistol grip, they are good cutters.

Dave

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Parker View Post
    Joe,

What type of glass are you buying that is $15 a square, I would be interested..

Thanks

Dave
    Dave,

It is a deep purple transparent glass imported from Germany, or at least that is what the stained glass shop is telling me. It is smooth on one side and has a slight pattern on the reverse.

The retail price is triple what the same shop charges for Spectrum Black Smooth Cathedral glass sheets. That price per sf is the price buying bulk 2x3 foot sheets.

I'm using it for ruby ambrotypes. I'd like to find a cheaper alternative but the other purple glass I've seen doesn't compare.

The effect on the ambrotypes is subtle, but I think worth the extra cost and I can pass it along should I ever sell one of them. And, I can always recoat the glass if I screw up the plate. That doesn't carry over to screwing up while cutting the glass down though.

Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin