Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,638   Posts: 1,648,399   Online: 1173
      
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Montreal,QC
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    334
    Images
    18
    Just as an update, I picked up a nice wide 2" watercolor brush from Opus today. https://store.opusframing.com/sagro/...y&category=562
    Its the 106 2" one.

    I did 16 4x5 vandykes today and realized it is easy to mess up while coating.
    What is your procedure for coating? I realized as i move down the paper, its easy to coat it less and less and get ligter areas in the print.

    Any good tips for coating with a watercolor brush?
    I will post some photos tomorrow once they are all dry.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,813
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Deniz View Post
    Just as an update, I picked up a nice wide 2" watercolor brush from Opus today. https://store.opusframing.com/sagro/...y&category=562
    Its the 106 2" one.

    I did 16 4x5 vandykes today and realized it is easy to mess up while coating.
    What is your procedure for coating? I realized as i move down the paper, its easy to coat it less and less and get ligter areas in the print.

    Any good tips for coating with a watercolor brush?
    I will post some photos tomorrow once they are all dry.

    First, if prnting 4X5 I would recommend coating larger sheets, say 8X10, and cut to size.

    Technique will vary a bit according to brush. With the Richeson 9010, which is very popular for hand coating, here is what I recommend.

    1. For an 8X10 print mix 2 ml of sensitizing solution. You will get more consistent results this way, probably.

    2. Take the brush and wet it out, then shake it four or five times to get rid of excess water. If the brushes separate, you have shaken too much water out of it. For consistency it is important that the brush always have the same wetness.

    3. Take your 2ml of solution and pour it in the center of the paper. Then, working as rapidly as you can, brush the coating over the paper. First, make strokes in the horizontal direction, then vertically, and finally on the diagnal. Be sure to move sensitizer from areas where there is more of it toward areas that have less. Keep brushing until the there is an even coat of sensitizer on the paper, with no puddles or areas that are visually wetter tha other areas. But don't brush too long as you will get brush marks once the sensitizer starts to dry. All of this should take twenty seconds or less for an 8X10 print.

    4. As soon as you finish coating hit the coated paper with air from a fan. This will set the coating on top of the paper and prevent it from seeping too deep into the fibers of the paper, which might cause staining and difficulty in clearing.

    5. Leave the coated paper flat for a couple of minutes, then hang to dry. Drying time varies according to humidity, but when working at 50% RH I always expose in about fifteen minutes. If the paper dries out too much you will lose Dmax with most papers. In fact, with all of the iron processes higher humidity is generally better, so if you can get the RH up to 60%, so much the better.

    Sandy King

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Windsor, UK
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    182
    Thank you Sandy for the detailed description, especially on the drying part and humidity levels; I've been experimenting with various methods without clear success, and a few failures.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Montreal,QC
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    334
    Images
    18
    Thank you for the great how-to Sandy.

    I coat a 5x7 area for the 4x5 prints and print in the middle. I like the over coated look with small prints.
    8x10 get a 9x11 area of coating usually.
    Im just hoping that the brush i use has the same hair caracteristics as the Richeson 9010...

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Montreal,QC
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    334
    Images
    18
    btw, the RH was 25% yesterday in the darkroom! Quite dry i might add. The paper would dry so fast and the Dmax was quite low.
    any advice in increasing the RH in the room? or should i just stick the paper in the humidifier cabinet, which i m not even sure if works or not.

    thanks again

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,813
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Deniz View Post
    btw, the RH was 25% yesterday in the darkroom! Quite dry i might add. The paper would dry so fast and the Dmax was quite low.
    any advice in increasing the RH in the room? or should i just stick the paper in the humidifier cabinet, which i m not even sure if works or not.

    thanks again
    That is real low RH. Perhaps you could keep the humidity a bit higher by drying the sensitizer paper over a tray of water. I get very low Dmax with 25% RH unless I print as soon as the paper is dry to the touch, i.e. in about five minutes or so.


    Sandy King

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Montreal,QC
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    334
    Images
    18
    as a question,
    would wetting the brush and coating water on the back of the paper 5mins before the sentisizing help with the humidity issue? or its just a wasted time?

    I will try to get a tray of boiling hot water going in the darkroom prior to printing to help with low RH.

    just crossing fingers!!

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,813
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Deniz View Post
    as a question,
    would wetting the brush and coating water on the back of the paper 5mins before the sentisizing help with the humidity issue? or its just a wasted time?

    I will try to get a tray of boiling hot water going in the darkroom prior to printing to help with low RH.

    just crossing fingers!!
    If you are big time serious about making good prints with the iron sesensitiv processes, such as kallitype, Pt./Pd. and VDB, let me suggest another option, especially if your workroom is fairly small. And that option is a small, and fairly inexpensive, humidifier. I have one of these (about $60) installed in my workroom (about 10X12 feet), and it maintains the RH at a constant 60%. It is on constantly, and all the attention needed is to add water every three or so days. Don't leave home without one if you plan to on consistenty with the iron processes.

    Sandy King
    Last edited by sanking; 10-31-2006 at 06:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Montreal,QC
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    334
    Images
    18
    Sandy, i am very serious about this process and hopefully Kallitypes very soon.
    There is a big paper humidifiying cabinet in the darkroom i use(schools)
    The hygrometer next to my coating table saus 25% which is why i may either get the department to buy a small humidifier or open the doors of the cabinet and humidify the whole room.

    The teacher is very keen on helping me, so i think its doable.

    thank you for all your help Sandy, You've been very helpful.
    tomorrow i will do another 16 or so 4x5 prints.

    cheers

  10. #20
    donbga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Posts
    2,084
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    And that option is a small, and fairly inexpensive, humidifier. I have one of these (about $60) installed in my workroom (about 10X12 feet), and it maintains the RH at a constant 60%. It is on constantly, and all the attention needed is to add water every three or so days. Don't leave home without one if you plan to on consistenty with the iron processes.

    Sandy King
    So which unit are you using?

    I have a Honeywell and my darkroom is about the size as yours and during times of low RH it has a hard time keepint the darkroom at 40% RH. Like you I keep it running 24/7.
    Don Bryant

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin