Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,910   Posts: 1,584,673   Online: 845

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My experience of importing from the USA has been generally good, Iíve found the mark-up on the quoted price to normally be around 25 to 30%. However I have been caught a few of times:
    a) I didnít get a quote for shipping from the supplier, and got shafted. My fault.
    b) I didnít specify the shipping agent, and allowed the British Post Office to deliver the goods. Result £20.00 handling fee. My Fault, should have specified Fedí Exí or similar, who charge much less to collect the tax and don't demand it on the doorstep.
    c) On a purchase from an individual, the value he quoted on the Customs Declaration form was not believed by our Customs who quadrupled its value in order to calculate the tax due. I think they thought it was a new item and not second-hand. I refused delivery feeling it was better to loose the £20 I had paid rather than give them another £110.

But what's this to do with Step Wedges?
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F. View Post
    I had an email response from Stouffer via email, but I didn't buy in the end as I found an Agfa one at Silverprint (http://www.silverprint.co.uk/dark29.html) which is sufficient for my needs but has 1/2 stop increments Vs the Stouffer's 1/3rd stop...

Cheers, Bob.
    Good point Bob, I had forgotton about these. BTW The Stouffer T2115 is in 1/2 stop increments, they make both types. The Stouffer is cheaper at $5.80 against £12 (depending on import costs!), but they are low cost so they might not attract any interest from HMG.

Barry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F. View Post
    Sorry, I left my crystal ball in my other trousers... You got the item, postage & packing, handling fees, customs duty and VAT invoices and exchange rate at the time: you tell us.
    I told you. You said 'not so' and gave pretty detailed information on taxes. So I thought, you had more details.

I got burned a couple of times with import duties and wanted to caution others. Being careful about it is difficult, since the overseas seller usually has no info on import duties of the receiving country.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin