Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,009   Posts: 1,524,614   Online: 1035

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I checked out your photo on flickr...ok I guess. Alan Greene is teaching this fall at the ICP in New York so you might want to go and do the workshop with him. We made callotypes with him but he had already prepared the paper and we made the exposures...none were as good as the negative I brought with me and then printed with salt...that's what I do now...we have the advantage of using film so I do
    good luck with your quest; Peter
    website down for maintenance!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Here is my recipe: I must credit Wikipedia for most of it, but I had to play with the instructions to get it to work.

Chemicals needed:

Iodized paper
    solution A: 6.5g Silver nitrate
    170ml distilled water

Solutioin B: 57g Potassium iodide
    1000ml distilled water

Sensitizing solution:
    6.5g Silver nitrate
    57ml distilled water
    10ml Glacial acedic acid

Developing:
    1g Gallic acid
    100ml dilstilled water

To make the iodized paper I used a Buckle brush to apply solution A. Blot the paper dry, then place, face down, in solution B for 2-3 mins. Blot the paper dry, then hang until completly dry. This first process was done in open light.

To sensitize the paper I again used a Buckle brush to apply this layer in a darkroom with safelight. I actually used a candle and it worked fine. I then blotted the paper dry, and hung it up until it was fully dry. At this point I made two exposures in bright open shade. 1 min was a bit over exposed, so you will have to play with the exposure times.

I then processed the paper by mixing 1 part sensitizing solution with 1 part processing solution. I painted this on the paper until I got my image. I washed this in water for about 10 min. then fixed in a very dilute solution of Ilford rapid fixer for about 10 min. About 1 tablespoon to 1 liter.

I will tell you that the image I got was not a great one, however there is a good image. The problem was in adding the different layers with the Buckle brush. I need to learn how to do that and make a nice even layer. Streaks appeared on the paper that were very bad because of my inconsistant application.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rickl69/4873078766/

Hope this helps.
    Rick Lanning
    Retired Crime Scene Photog.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

'Calotype Club' on Flickr

Please visit The Calotype Club on Flickr (fourteen members and counting )

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1384661@N22/

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagepics View Post

I will tell you that the image I got was not a great one, however there is a good image. The problem was in adding the different layers with the Buckle brush. I need to learn how to do that and make a nice even layer. Streaks appeared on the paper that were very bad because of my inconsistant application.

Why not use a glass rod (a.k.a. puddle pusher) instead of the buckle brush?
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga View Post
    Why not use a glass rod (a.k.a. puddle pusher) instead of the buckle brush?
    I don't have one, and im not sure how it works.
    Rick Lanning

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    I don't have one, and im not sure how it works.
    Take a look here:

http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/cart/home.php?cat=255

B&S is an APUG advertiser but I am not affiliated with them in way other than as a customer.

The puddle pusher works very simply. The solution to be coated is dispersed in front of the glass rod. The rod and the puddle is then pushed across the paper. The action can be reversed coating in the opposite direction. Any excess coating may be wicked up with a paper towel.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I like the looks of it, and its cheap enough. Does it drag across the paper or roll? My only concern since I work with some very thin vellum rag paper.
    Rick Lanning

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    I like the looks of it, and its cheap enough. Does it drag across the paper or roll? My only concern since I work with some very thin vellum rag paper.
    It's best to think of the puddle pusher gliding over the paper surface. The glass rod is a hollow tube and the ones sold by have a glass handle fused to it to make coating easier.

You can coat vellum with it just fine but you wil probably wish to tape the paper down.

I have a large piece of plate glass covering my counter in my darkroom. This provides a clean rigid surface to coat on and can be cleaned when necessary.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Coating paper with a glass (or acrylic) rod works well with papers that doesn't curl / become wavy excessively, when they get wet. Very thin papers could pose a problem... You have to try and see if that works for you. If you have a neon sign maker nearby, maybe you can persuade them bend a small scrap tube to bicycle handlebar shape, and use that as the puddle pusher - I have several tubes (4" - ... - 13") made this way...

Regards,
    Loris.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin