Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,680   Online: 843

Shooter
    Large Format

Cranes 90pound coverstock - iron speck problems?

Folks,

I heard there were problems with Cranes 90pound cover and iron specks in materials purchased from Bostick and Sullivans.

I went to Photographers Formulary to acquire Cranes from them in the hope that it would be a different batch. Alas, I am seeing the same problem. It's really disturbing to see black specks all over creamy white images.

Is anyone else facing this challenge with Cranes?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes, I've heard this complaint from several people. On a brighter note, I am currently testing a "new" Cranes paper that looks very promising.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yes. And considering the cost of Pt/Pd I will not buy anymore.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I spoke with Kevin at B&S a few weeks ago who advised me that they were seeing problems with recent batches of Cranes papers. The problems apparently appeared following a cleaning of the paper making machines at Cranes. I ordered COT 320 to replace it, but hope Cranes gets the problem straightened out in the near future. I certainly wil give the papers another chance after the problem is cured.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

This is sad, but true. The Cranes 90lb paper has been unusable for several months. We receive samples of each new batch, and the problem appears to be getting worse rather than better.

We recommend the Bergger COT-320 as a replacement, although it is substantially more expensive on a per-sheet basis. We do find that the ratio of 'keepers' to throw away prints is much better with the COT-320 versus the Crane's, which means you save money on expensive metal salts in the long run. The main draw back with the COT-320 is that it's only available in a natural color and not a bright white version.

Dana Sullivan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerik View Post
    Yes, I've heard this complaint from several people. On a brighter note, I am currently testing a "new" Cranes paper that looks very promising.
    Very interesting Kerik, would love to hear more about this "new" paper...PM works for me.
    Mike C

Rambles

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin