Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,911   Online: 1178

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thank you for the post. As my stock of paper dwindles, I will certainly try it. How big of a print have you done with it? I find platinotype barely workable with 16x20 or 20x24 prints. Does the new old paper stand up at that size?

Allen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Timely post thanks Kerik. I just completed a Ziatype workshop last weekend and move on to a platinum DOP workshop this coming weekend so this may be the first paper I buy!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    By coincidence, Kerik and I were trying out this paper at the same time. I concur with his comments 100%. It is a very forgiving and easy-to-use paper that has a super rich black. And it is inexpensive to boot. Nothing wrong with that!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Egan View Post
    Timely post thanks Kerik. I just completed a Ziatype workshop last weekend and move on to a platinum DOP workshop this coming weekend so this may be the first paper I buy!
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.

http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clay View Post
    By coincidence, Kerik and I were trying out this paper at the same time. I concur with his comments 100%. It is a very forgiving and easy-to-use paper that has a super rich black. And it is inexpensive to boot. Nothing wrong with that!
    OK, you and Kerik have me convinced. I just ordered some of the paper. At about a buck a pop for 22X34" not much to lose. The name of the paper, Weston, is also promising.

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also just spoke with John and made an order. He spoke of a well known printer that was working on this with him? One of you guys? Claims until recently it had never been tried for this process. Looking forward to giving it a try.

B.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Your scanned print has a really nice sense of luminosity, Kerik. I might try some for albumen. Being on the thin side is a good thing for coating by the float method.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerik View Post
    I have some good paper news, especially for current and former users of Cranes Platinotype (aka Cranes Crest Natural White Wove, Cranes Business Card Stock, Artificial Parchment, etc.)

With the recent problems with the “Platinotype Black Plague”, many are looking for other options. There is a “new” 50-year-old paper that found me recently. I got a call a few weeks ago from John Zokowski from Butler-Dearden Paper Co., a Crane’s distributor offering samples of Byron-Weston’s Diploma Parchment paper for me to test with pt/pd printing. (Byron-Weston is a subsidiary of Cranes.) This paper has been made for 50+ years and is used for diplomas and other formal documents. This paper is manufactured a bit on the acidic side, which is a good thing for pt/pd and other iron processes. No pretreatment is necessary.

To make a long story short, this is the paper Platinotype should have been but never was (at least not for a long time…) It produces a rich black and a nice warm tone with pure palladium. It’s a bit on the thin side at 177 gsm, so for large prints, in needs to be handled with care. It’s also a bit on the yellow side for my taste, but a whiter version and thicker version are in the works. It seems to clear very easily and also seems to be relatively black-spot-free. Finally, where it really shines over Platinotype is that the surface remains nice and smooth after processing. It doesn’t take on the fuzzy surface of processed Platinotype. And, to top it off, it is very reasonably priced.

Go here http://www.crane.com/business/weston...palladium.aspx for info. Contact John Zokowski for pricing and to place an order. Attached is a scan of a print on Weston’s Diploma Parchment. Happy printing!
    I'm not sure if this is the same paper but Linus Kudzuma sent me a sample of a Weston paper several years ago. It printed quite well but as you mentioned the base color was a little warmer than I would prefer and bit light weight.

Never the less if the two papers are the same it should print very well based on my limited experience with the small sample I received.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    So far, the largest sheet I have tried is 11x14. I have ordered parent sheets at 22x34 and will be trying larger prints when I receive it.

The paper is even a bit yellower than "natural" platinotype. I have hopes for the whiter version as it is developed in the future....
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    have you tried out ruscombe paper mills Buxton or Talbot paper in 240 gram weight? the imperial sheets (56 x 76 cm) won't ever be cheap, but they'll stand up to the process.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Anything with the name "Weston" is an automatic with me. Sounds like it's the paper for my next project.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin